Immortal Memory of Family

Don't you dare look out the window

Darlin' everything's on fire

The war outside our window keeps ragin' on

~Taylor Swift~

𝔼𝕧𝕚𝕝𝕪𝕟𝕟 ℙ𝕚𝕖𝕤𝕥

HE WANTED ME TO LEAVE, but I felt wrong running off when he was like this. When he finally made his way to the rendezvous point, I was only far enough that he could sense me following. The wind was brisk but still enough to blow my hair around, whisking around my face in an overtly annoying fashion.

Entering the building I was pulling hair out of my mouth and fixing my dress, not particularly elegant like.

Everyone was seated in the general surroundings of a table near the door, only three of them actually seated at the table itself. I could sense the annoyance in the room, but I wasn't concerned.

"Ohval's not just a fence," Kaz sat with his hands folded in front of him. "She's the disciple."

I approached the back of his chair as I entered, leaving a noticeable distance between us after what had happened just minutes before.

"What tipped you off?" Wylan asked.

"Her tea cup," Kaz was only half in the conversation, deep in thought. "When she set it down, she did so without a sound."

"And her heart beat never fluctuated once," Nina added. "It held at one beat a second like a clock."

"So she can control her heart beat and her emotions," Tolya recapped.

"Useful skills for a thief," Wylan nodded.

It went quiet for a moment as everyone absorbed that information. Something didn't seem quite right in my mind, if she was so good at hiding and deception, she would have been able to play the simple role of an intercessor. As much as I was sure in Kaz's mind, someone like her should be able to lie to him and get away with it.

"This is when you tell us where the sword is," Jesper nudged.

"Ohval has it," Kaz answered. "Her signal to the waitress to spill the tea told me as much."

"It's as if I know you," Jesper playfully mocked.

"And if she's not gonna sell it to us," he took a dramatic pause, "then we'll just have to take it. After Nina and I ordered the tea I had Inej follow the employee that was sent to notify Ohval."

Inej took that as her cue to talk. "She lives just outside the city. When she stopped at the tea shop, she placed an order at the apothecary that she'll be picking up tonight. I watched her at home for a while, no one came or went except for her."

"So, while she's out of the house, Nina will tail her to make sure she stays out of the house. The rest of us will go in and grab the blade."

Zoya scoffed in all her self-righteous glory. "You don't seriously expect me to break into this woman's house."

I furrowed my brows. "You hired thieves, if you wanted someone to go and barter with her you should have sent some Ravkan diplomat."

She gave me a disgusted look, "I'm a soldier, not a thief. Why else would I need you criminals."

"You make it sound like there's a difference." I narrowed my eyes, she was starting to get on my nerves.

"Oh shut it, circus trash." She rolled her eyes. Both Jesper and Inej surged forward on my behalf, but Kaz put a hand up to stop them. "I'll go with Nina."