3. Find a Girlfriend

It took considerable effort and patience to reassure everyone that I was alright, that my injury was minor and would heal in due time

It took considerable effort and patience to reassure everyone that I was alright, that my injury was minor and would heal in due time. Eventually, I managed to persuade them to return home, knowing full well that another storm awaited me come morning. - Vrindha Choudary.

At 8 a.m., the weight of jet lag hits me hard. I turn to find a pair of curious doe eyes fixed on me with intense concentration. As soon as the little observer realizes I'm awake, she lunges at me with a squeal that could shatter glass.

"Vivi missed you so much, Mamu," her muffled voice reaches my ears as she buries herself into my chest.

"I missed my princess too," I reply, enfolding the four-year-old in a tight embrace. Just then, her mother enters through the open door, her gaze piercing like daggers.

"If you missed her so much, you should have come home for her birthday," Vrindha remarks sharply.

I sit up, still holding Vidhi close. "Arey, Vri kaam tha yaar, thu meri best friend hai agar tu nahi samjhegi tho kon samjhega?"

She shoots me a look that could kill. "My daughter calls you Mamu, not uncle. Aur mein teri bestie nahi hoon? Ha theen saal se rakhi nahi bandhi, tho behen se bestie. Achi baat hai. It's good to know where I stand, Rudy. I'm the one who's foolish enough to forgive you every time, thinking you're busy with work, but you don't care."

Quickly, I rise from the bed and place Vidhi down before enveloping Vri in a hug. Vrindha's parents and mine have been best friends for years, and she married my cousin Shreyas. Being the only son and Vri the only girl among my friends, we've received plenty of love from everyone. But if anyone knows I made her cry, I would be dead.

"What did you do, Rajat? You made her cry," my dad's stern voice rings out.

"No, papa, I didn't. She just got emotional," I protest weakly, feeling the weight of their accusing stares.

I glance around the room to see my four friends, along with Mom, Dad, and Shreyas, all fixing me with a collective glare that spells trouble. "Isne mujhe bestie kaha, behen nahi." she complained.

"KYA?!?!" the chorus of disbelief echoes around the room.

"I am sorry, flow mein nikal gaya. Aur hai tu meri eklauti behan hai meri maa. Mujhe maaf karde." I plead, clasping my hands together as she turns and heads towards the kitchen.

I watch her retreating figure, feeling a pang of guilt, while Shreyas gives my shoulder a comforting pat and remarks, "This is just the beginning; there's a lot in store for you, and mostly me," before taking his leave.

It takes me ten minutes to register what he meant, and I rush to the kitchen to find Vri eating biryani at an unusual hour. "You're pregnant?" I blurt out, earning a scowl from her.

"Hanji, agar aapko hamari parva hothi to hum batate, par aapko fursat hi nahi hai aapki biwi se. Maa uski shadi kara do uske kaam se. Koi aur ladki tho nahi jhel payegi Mr.Akdu Rathore ko,"she retorts, addressing my mom.