Chapter Nine: The Home

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."

- Elbert Hubbard

LEWIS

Out of all the school days in the year, the first day has to be the most tiring. I was practically knocked out as soon as I got on the bus. I didn't even feel the person across the aisle shaking me awake to tell me that we had arrived at my stop.

It was just really hard trying to listen to all eight of my teachers talk about their syllabuses, rules and requirements. The cupcakes Amy gave us at lunch had enough energy to last me through the rest of the day, but I still felt tired as it went on. I had gone to bed early just like Mom told me, but I couldn't sleep properly. My mind was full of thoughts that kept me from drifting off. Thoughts about school, thoughts about the stupid pact. Thoughts about him.

I finally reached my house, I took out my key, unlocked the door and stepped inside. It was quiet. Too quiet, honestly. Usually he would be there, sitting on the couch watching a sports game of something. At least that's what he wanted us to think. 

I brushed off any thoughts of him and pulled out my phone to text Mom that I was home. I didn't get a response right away, but I wasn't worried. I knew how busy she was.

I dropped my backpack near the front door and kicked off my shoes. I wanted nothing more than to just collapse into bed, but the responsible part of me knew that I needed to start dinner. Mom would be home soon, and she would be tired. 

I went into the kitchen and washed my hands, then gathered some vegetables from the fridge. I went to the freezer and got some chicken and shrimp, and then started up the rice cooker to cook some rice.

As I started chopping the vegetables, I felt my mood start to go up a little. Cooking always made me feel better whenever I was in a bad mood. Whether it was just a simple dish or a large dinner like this one, I could always rely on cooking to lighten my mood.

I was so focused on chopping that I barely felt the kiss that was planted on my head. I turned to see my mom standing next to me, measuring cups of rice to put in the rice cooker. She had a slight aroma of garlic bread from her uniform from the restaurant she worked at.

"Thank you for starting dinner, sweetie," she said. 

"No problem," I said. "But you don't need to help me, you've been working all day. You should relax for a while."

Mom smiled. "Thank you for worrying sweetie, but I'm fine. Besides, cooking with you is the highlight of my day. I wouldn't miss it." She sighed. "Although, I will go and take a shower. People ordered a lot of garlic bread today."

I gave her a giant hug, burying my face in her uniform. The smell of garlic bread hit my nostrils. "But I like the smell of garlic bread," I mock-whined.

Mom laughed and pushed me away, but not before hugging me back. "I do too, but not on my clothes. I'm gonna go shower, and then I'll come help you, ok? I'm kind of in the mood for some pancit, what do you think?"

I patted the bags of pasta and shrimp sitting on the counter. "Already on it."

Mom ruffled my hair. "That's my boy."

***

Not long after we sat down for dinner and said our thanks, Mom bombarded me with questions about my first day. If I liked any of my classes (just one, marine biology), if I'd made any new friends yet (no), and if I was able to sit with my friends at lunch (yes, but it wasn't next to Lola). Then she asked me if I was going to join any sports or clubs.