꧁𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇 𝐜𝐡𝟒𝟓꧂

Annabeth

"They're coming for you. All of them. Every single living thing in this Pit."

"And how do you know that? Because you're one of them?" Percy accused.
"No. I know things, demigods."
"Then who are you?"
"I am Apate."
"Goddess of Deception." I recited instantly.
"That explains a lot," Percy muttered.
"I mean you no harm. I had to gain a level of trust, somehow, to test your loyalty, as you said Annabeth. I apologise, however it was necessary."
"You're the goddess of deceit, why would we believe anything you say?" Percy said.
"Yeah, how could we possibly trust you?"
"That's the fun part. You can't."
"Well this is exciting!" Kelli said, genuinely, 0% sarcasm.
"But you need to hear us out. We could help you change the tide of war." Apate said, turning.
"We?" I said, raising an eyebrow.
"STYX!" Apate yelled.

Beat.

The river began to spiral, and the black waters churned into a figure. The obsidian waters formed an intricate, delicately designed dress, that fit on a beautiful woman like a fitted glove. Her hair matched the darkness of her dress, and was dead straight, especially at the ends, where it was as if someone had cut them with a knife. Her eyes were a dark ebony, surrounded by black misty makeup, contrasting the pale of her skin.

I remembered that lady Styx was millions of years old, one of the first beings in the universe. I was most certainly reminded of this when the waves of her raw power hit me like a blizzard.

"I was wondering how long it would take," she said, almost bored.
I dipped my head in a sensible motion. "Lady Styx."
Apate had lost all my respect already, and I don't like having two higher beings I can't trust or like in a conversation at once.

"Leave," Lady Styx said to Kelli. The empousa raised her hands in surrender and walked off. The goddess waited until Kelli sat on a rock about quarter of a mile away in the poisonous plain, before opening her mouth.

"Annabeth Chase. Perseus Jackson." she greeted calmly.
"You needed to speak with us?"
"Yes. I have a request for you."
When do immortals not? I thought absentmindedly.
"The jar of containment. You know of it?" I nodded.

I did. It was the goddess' symbol. It represented containment, the oaths' and promises' holding place. In some legends, the black waters of the styx flowed from said jar.

"Jam jar? Huh?" Percy said, and I took a moment to explain. He nodded and murmured something about stupid metaphors.

"A few months ago, it vanished from my possession. I have recently come to believe it can be found in the forest of curses. Having this jar will allow me to return to my full power. I would like the pair of you to retrieve it."

I held up a hand. "Forgive me for asking, but I thought you said you had something to defeat Gaia."

Styx's eyes briefly flashed with mild surprise.
"I see. You like to get straight to the point. Well, if you help me, I help you. I do not want to see the world come to an end, I find it rather entertaining at the moment. Charon even told me about fluffy socks, and I think I'd really like a pair to be honest. If Gaia rules, what will happen to the world? I can't have it destroyed, that wouldn't be fun. No people to punish, no socks either. I was thinking of ways to help, when Apate visited me with what she thinks we need to do, after we already agreed we must help the cause."