"I'm going to miss you all too, very much," I added, "But it's not a goodbye, it's a see you later. You're all welcome to come visit us, anytime you want. Thank you for welcoming me here with open arms."

Demarcus lifted up his glass, "To Riley and Jenny!"

Everyone cheered, and we all clinked our glasses together. Riley caught my eye as we did so and gave me a wink.

Happy hour wound up lasting a few hours, and we all walked back to our cars together. Riley stood by mine and asked, "You're okay to drive?"

I nodded, "My last drink was over an hour ago, I'm fine. Are you?"

"I'm all good. Just wanted to make sure you were," Riley smiled softly at me, "How about you come over tonight? Or I can come to you, whatever you want."

"I'll come over to your place," I said to Riley, "Soon enough, it won't be my place and your place. It'll be our place."

Riley's smile grew, "I love the sound of that."

When I got in my car and started driving home, my phone started to vibrate, and I felt a chill go down my spine when I saw who was calling.

My mom.

I answered, "Hello?"

"Hi, Jenny," my mom's voice came through, "Your father told me that you're moving."

"I am," I said, "Did he tell you why?"

"He said that Riley got a promotion and you got a new job with your company as well. I wanted to say congratulations to both of you."

Her tone, however, was cold. She wasn't happy for me.

"Thank you, Mom."

"Of course," she said, "Good luck with your move, Jenny. Let us know when you've settled in."

That's it?

"I will," I said, "Thank you."

"Talk to you sometime soon," she said, "Bye, Jenny."

"Bye," I said, and we then hung up.

No "I love you" from her. Something I was so used to hearing.

It's time to let this relationship with her go.

When I got back to my apartment, Stephanie and Johnny were in the kitchen, cooking dinner together.

"Practice for when you move in!" I said to Johnny.

He smiled, "You know it. Though Steph is a way better cook than I'll ever be."

I then went to my bedroom to change out of my work clothes. I had started packing a lot of my belongings and didn't have much clothing to choose from now. I had just finished putting on a pair of jeans when there was a knock at my door.

"Come in," I said.

Stephanie came into my room and closed the door gently behind me.

"What's up?" I turned to her.

"This is so weird," she said to me, "Knowing this is our last few days living together. Of course, I'm excited to live with Johnny. Excited and nervous. But I'm really going to miss you, Jenny. So much. You've become my best friend."

"Oh, Steph," I said, holding my arms out to hug her, "You've become mine as well. I'm really going to miss living with you, but don't you worry. We'll talk all the time, and in no time I will see you again."

Stephanie leaned into my embrace, and we held each other for a few moments.

Just like with my co-workers, it wasn't a goodbye, it was a see you later.

When we pulled away, she was wiping at her eyes, which were wet. She then looked at Sunshine, who was on my bed, and said, "I'm going to miss you too! I'm going to adopt a cat from the shelter very soon after you move. I've loved having a cat."

"That's great," I smiled at Stephanie, "Thank you. For everything."

She squeezed my hand, "Of course. I love you, sis."

"I love you too, Steph," I said back to her.

(A/N: This scene with Stephanie was kinda emotional for me to write. As I mentioned at the beginning of the story, she is based on my friend who passed away. But I know as well with her it's not a goodbye. It's a see you later.)

I drove to Riley's that night, and when I got there, most of her apartment had been packed up, even more so than a few days prior. Brooklyn was going to be moving out soon with a friend of hers from work. I knew she was excited to get out of this apartment, where everything happened with their mom.

Riley and I sat down on her bed. There was a lot of clothing strewn across her room that she still needed to pack, and I offered to help.

"Maybe later," she said, "I really just wanted to spend time tonight with you before everything changes for us."

"It's exciting, isn't it?" I turned to her, "I mean, I'm petrified. But very excited to be doing this with you."

Riley took my hand in hers, "I'm really scared as well. But this is going to be the fresh start I think we both need. So much has happened to us here. Together and separately. From everything that happened at your previous job, to everything that happened in my previous relationship. And then my mom passing away, our attack, and everything in between. I feel grateful to be getting this fresh start, and even more grateful that it is going to be with you."

"There's no one in this world that I'd rather be doing this with," I said to Riley, "You are right. This is going to be a fresh start for the both of us."

Riley looked at me affectionately and said, "I love you so much, Jenny. Truly. I am so damn grateful as well that you came to work where I did. I don't know what I'd do without you."

I chuckled and said to Riley playfully, "Maybe you'd be dating another new girl that started at the job if I hadn't."

Riley laughed and said, "No way. I'd always choose you, Jenny. Even in a sea of women, I'd go back to you, each and every time."

I smiled at Riley, "I love you too, by the way. So fucking much, Riley. And I will always choose you."

"Why do these almost sound like wedding vows?" Riley laughed.

"Hey, maybe we will be saying those to each other soon enough."

Riley smiled at me, "That's the plan. Believe me. That's certainly the plan."

"Do you want a big wedding one day or a small one?" I asked Riley.

"Small, without a doubt. Something very intimate, only with the people closest to us. Unless you want a big wedding, then I would have that, of course."

"No, I'm with you. Something small sounds really nice."

"Then we will make that happen," Riley smiled, and I saw a blush forming on her cheeks. She then said to me, "You know what I am also really excited for?"

"What's that?"

"To own a cat again! I know Sunshine is technically your cat. But I will be thrilled to have a cat in my home again."

I laughed, "Please. You're Sunshine's other mom. She loves you."

"See," Riley said to me, "I know we're both scared. But we're doing this together, and we have so much to look forward to."

As I fell asleep next to Riley that night, I looked over at her and thought-

I'm going to be doing this every single night with her.

I can't wait.

Good things are coming.