Part 48

I wound up falling asleep on my bed with the lights on, in the clothes that I had gone out to eat with Riley in.

When I got up, it was just past 4 AM.

I immediately found myself looking at my phone, to see if Riley texted or called me.

I should be with her right now.

I did see that I had two unread texts from her. One was sent at 12:37 AM, and the other was sent 20 minutes later.

The first one read: I'm sorry, Jenny. I'm seriously regretting dropping you off. You were right, we should have just resolved it at my place.

The second text read: I'm guessing you're asleep. Wish I was next to you. I love you.

I felt my heart skip a beat as I looked at the texts.

I knew that she was likely asleep, but I texted her back and said: Yes, I was asleep. It's okay, we were just miscommunicating. I love you too.

I sent the text, and a minute later, my phone started vibrating, with Riley's name showing as the caller.

I guess she isn't asleep.

I answered, "Hi. Have you even slept at all?"

"No," Riley said back, "I just don't really feel tired. I know you got my texts, but I just wanted to reiterate that I am sorry. I shouldn't have just dropped you off. I feel really terrible if I upset you, which I'm sure I did."

"I was upset," I said back, "I think it would have been better to just resolve it then and there."

"I agree. Once again, I'm truly sorry. I've been missing you all night. I know it's going to sound crazy, but could I come pick you up right now? There's no fucking way I'm falling asleep. I thought that maybe I could drive us down to the beach and we could watch the sunrise together."

"I'd love that," I said, feeling myself smile, "See you soon?"

"I'll be at your place in less than a half hour."

I changed out of the clothes that I went to dinner in, and put on a hoodie and leggings. I knew it would likely be chilly at the beach, as it was still March.

When Riley pulled up to my house, she had a coffee for me as well.

"I stopped at Wawa," she said, smiling at me as I got into her car, "I figured coffee could keep us both awake."

"Thank you," I smiled back at Riley, "I'm really glad to see you, even though it hasn't been very long."

"Let's make this car ride better than the last one," Riley said to me with a playful wink, and I couldn't help but laugh.

Riley blasted music, mostly throwbacks, as she drove us down to the beach. She decided to take us to Spring Lake Beach in New Jersey, which was a little over an hour's drive.

When we got to the beach, we walked up the wooden ramp leading to the beach hand in hand and then sat down by the sand dunes. We had likely over an hour until the sun rose, but I didn't mind sitting on the beach with Riley one bit. We watched as the waves lightly crashed into the sand in front of us, Riley's hand still in mine.

She turned to look at me, "What I did to you tonight reminds me of something I would have done in my last relationship. Avoiding communication rather than working it out then and there. I promised myself I wouldn't act like that again in my next relationship, so I am pretty disappointed in myself."

"It's okay," I reassured Riley, "We were both upset. Maybe it's better that we were both able to cool off before seeing each other again."

"I get that, but I still definitely regret it," Riley said back to me, "There's something else as well. I don't want you to think that I was just brushing off how you feel about your parents. I understand that even though they've been so lousy to you, at the end of the day, they are your parents and I know it really upsets you how they've reacted to your sexuality."