Part 43

I went back to work in person the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. I figured I could do one day in the office. Riley was working as well, but fully from home for the time being.

My face was looking a little bit better, but it still had a ways to go before healing. I tried to put as much makeup on it as possible, but you could still see the bruising.

When I got to work, Hailey asked me to come into her office. I sat down across from her, and she looked at me.

"Jenny, if you're not ready to be back at work, it's okay," Hailey said, "You can work from home."

"I look worse than I feel," I said, "Most of the pain has subsided. I'll be okay. Thank you, though."

"Okay," Hailey nodded, "Just like I told Riley, I am so sorry this happened to you. Have the cops found the bastards who did this to you?"

"I haven't heard anything yet," I said back, "I'll let you know if I do."

"Please, yes," Hailey nodded, and then she smiled at me, "I was happy to hear that you and Riley are together. I had a feeling."

I smiled back, "I'm not sure how subtle we were."

Hailey laughed, "Not the most. But I get it. Now, if you need anything during the day, or if you want to leave early, you let me know."

"Thanks," I said to Hailey, "I will if needed."

All of my co-workers that were there in office had something to say to me about what happened. They all asked how I was feeling, and how Riley was. Even Lauren, who barely spoke to me, asked me how I was doing.

The day wasn't too bad, until my mom called me as I was driving home.

"How has your day been?" she asked me, "Are you driving?"

"I am," I said, "I worked in person. It wasn't too bad. I'm on my way home now."

"You weren't in too much pain?" my mom asked me.

"The pain is minimal now, I was alright."

There was a pause. I was just waiting for my mom to bring up Riley. I knew that she was going to at some point.

Or I was going to have to, and tell her that we couldn't avoid the subject forever.

"Your father and I were wondering if you'd like to come over for dinner on Saturday night," my mom finally said, "We'd like it if you did."

Ugh.

"Okay," I agreed, "I'll be there."

"Just you," my mom said to me.

I knew exactly what she was getting at.

"Don't worry, mom," I rolled my eyes, "I wouldn't just bring Riley uninvited."

"I'll see you on Saturday, Jenny," my mom said in a huff.

I wasn't looking forward to Saturday, and Riley knew that I wasn't either after I had told her about it.

"Come over after," Riley said to me, "It'll give you something to look forward to."

I wasn't sure what to expect when I went to my parents. I assumed they were going to talk to me about Riley, however, I had no idea what their angle was going to be.

If they were going to try to convince me to break up with her, that wasn't happening. Ever.

My mom texted me that she had made baked ziti, one of my favorites. Knowing my mom, she did that on purpose because she knew I loved it.