Part 29

"I really need to wipe off my smeared makeup," Riley said, "Can we stop at CVS and grab wipes or something?"

I could tell that she was still so upset, but was trying to turn back to her usual positive self.

"Of course," I said.

Riley looked up where the closest CVS was, and we stopped in and grabbed makeup wipes. She used them in the car, and then said, "I'm literally just in a t-shirt and workout shorts. You look beautiful."

"Thank you," I said, "And so do you. Don't worry, this arcade is casual. Also, who cares?"

Riley chuckled and said, "You are absolutely correct- who the fuck really cares?"

Right when we walked into the arcade, Riley's eyes lit up. The arcade was dark in of itself, but all of the lights from the games, and the bar illuminated the whole room.

"This is fucking awesome," Riley said, and then she turned to me, "You know me well, Jenny."

I smiled at Riley and said, "I had a feeling you would love it here."

Seeing Riley grow happier and happier as the night went on in turn made me happy. I hated seeing her so upset and wanted to do anything and everything in the world to fix her problems- even though I knew I couldn't.

I watched as Riley played the basketball machine, of course making every single shot.

I love this girl.

I wasn't sure if I should tell her yet- but I knew that I was in love with her.

She added color to my life. Before her, for a long time, things felt bleak. Not just because of what happened at my previous job, but other factors. My family, being confused about my sexuality, and trying to force myself to settle down with a man. Nothing felt exciting.

Riley made me excited about life- and having her in it was the best part.

"That's how it's done," Riley said, brushing invisible dirt off her shoulder after making every basketball shot.

I laughed and said, "You certainly put me to shame. I missed most of them."

"That's okay. You looked awfully cute trying to make the shots," Riley said in a flirty tone.

Riley and I went to a claw machine next, and she said, "I'm going to win you something. Which stuffed animal do you want?"

"The pink bear with the rainbow bowtie is cute," I said, "But these machines are impossible. I'm not sure if you'll be able to get it."

"Watch me," Riley said, "Hold my drink, please?"

I took Riley's mojito from her, and watched as she concentrated closely- and somehow grabbed the exact stuffed animal that I wanted, and lifted it up.

"No fucking way," I said.

A moment later, Riley handed me the pink bear and said, "I actually wasn't completely sure that I could grab the bear. But I'm glad I did."

I smiled at Riley and said, "Not a day goes by where you don't impress me."

We sat at the bar of the arcade together, and we each ordered another drink.

"Everything is my treat tonight," I said to Riley.

"I feel bad letting you pay fully, even on my birthday," Riley said.

"While I appreciate the sentiment, you're not paying," I said, "Period."

Riley rolled her eyes and smiled, "If you say so."