Part 30

A few weeks after Riley's birthday, Hailey announced at work that there was a 3 day convention in Arizona we had to go to. Half of us would go in September, the other half a week later in October.

All I could think was- please let me be with Riley.

I wound up getting an email that I would be going at the end of September with Danielle, Marie, Xander, Tim, and...Riley.

Riley called me at lunch, as I was working from home that day, and said, "I guess we're headed to Arizona together. I'm so fucking glad we're on the same trip."

"I wonder if we can share a hotel room?"

"Looks like Hailey sent a Google doc with those arrangements," Riley said, "Let me check."

A few seconds later, she said, "I'm sharing a room with Danielle. You're with Marie. However, considering they both know about us...maybe they'll let us swap, even if for a night or so."

"I sure wouldn't mind that," I said, "The more time I get with you, the better."

"I feel the same," Riley responded- but I could tell by her tone something was off.

I think she's probably worried about leaving her mom, even just for a few days.

"Are you okay?" I asked Riley, "You sound a little bit stressed. Is it your mom, are you worried about leaving her?"

"That's exactly it, Jenny. I haven't gone anywhere since she got sick. I don't really trust my sister to go help her or visit her if she needs anything. Brooklyn kind of acts like this isn't happening. It's all on me."

"Can you ask Hailey if you could stay back, she knows about your situation, right?"

"She does. And yes, I'm worried about my mom. But is it selfish of me to say that I kind of want to go to Arizona?" Riley asked, with a sigh.

"No. Not in the least," I responded, "You deserve to go somewhere and get away, even if just for a few days. I know you're going to be worried, but she's in the hospital, receiving the care she needs."

"I guess I'm just freaking out more now that we know the cancer has spread. Yes, her treatments have been keeping it at bay the past couple of weeks...but it still makes me nervous."

Riley's mom's cancer did spread- to her bladder and uterus. When Riley's mom told her over the phone, I could tell that it destroyed her. But she tried to sound strong for her mom.

"I know," I said, "And how you feel is completely valid. Just know that it's okay if you want to go on this little work trip."

"Thank you," Riley said, "Sometimes I feel guilty that my mom is sick and in the hospital, and I am out here, living my life."

"I promise, you don't have to feel guilty. I know, easier said than done. Life can be so beyond unfair sometimes."

"Eh, at least the universe or whatever higher power there is out there led me to you."

I felt myself smile as I said, "It was meant to be."

I could tell that Riley was smiling too as she said, "I love you, Jenny."

"I love you, too," I said back.

I found out that Hailey was going to be on this work trip with us as well- so if Riley and I wanted to swap rooms at all, we would have to be sneaky. Which was kind of ridiculous considering we are adults, but we didn't want to raise any suspicions to Hailey.

We were set to leave on a Sunday, and we would be in Arizona until Wednesday. Saturday night, Riley came over while I packed.

Stephanie sat in my room as well with us, she was waiting for Johnny to pick her up.