Moving the department?

What does that even mean?

"What moving?" I blurted out before I could stop myself, looking between Ronald and the design department staff in confusion.

Before Ronald could respond, Mrs. Jane turned to me, her expression shifting as realization dawned. "Oh, right, I'm sorry. You were on leave, so you wouldn't know," she said apologetically. "Two weeks ago, Mr. Knight ordered the Jewelry Design department to move from the South Tower to this North Tower. We've relocated just below this floor, as per his instructions," she explained politely, and I could feel my jaw almost hitting the floor at the unexpected news.

"I'll inform him, Mrs. Jane. Thank you for your hard work on such short notice," Ronald responded, drawing her attention away from me. She shared a few more details before bidding us farewell, leaving me in a state of shock until they were out of sight.

Alone in the lobby once more, Ronald turned to me, shifting uncomfortably. "Mr. Knight was concerned because you had to make several trips to the South Tower for your work on the recent designs while serving as his executive assistant. So, he arranged for the design department to be relocated below us and personally oversaw the architectural adjustments," he explained, scratching his head as if unsure if he should be sharing this information. "He's also arranged an office for you downstairs in the design department," he added, delivering yet another shock.

He moved an entire department... just for me?

We hadn't even been married two weeks ago, so why...?

"In fact, I like you a lot." Ares' words echoed in my mind like an incessant mantra, repeating endlessly since the day he uttered them.

The eerie silence in the lobby suddenly felt more pronounced, and my gaze instinctively shifted to the closed conference room doors as Ares' voice ceased. Ronald stepped back, stealing a glance inside before excusing himself and hurrying into the room.

The meeting- or should I say, the period of impending doom- was over, presumably.

I nervously bit my lip, my eyes darting between the doors and the empty lobby. I couldn't fathom why my heart was racing so wildly right now, why facing him felt like such a daunting task...

As the conference room door swung open, I instinctively retreated into the corner, stealing a cautious peek. Ares' broad back came into view as he strode confidently towards his office with firm, purposeful steps. His posture was visibly rigid with tension, exuding an aura of seething rage and dominance. An instinctive shiver ran down my spine, making me hesitate to even approach him at that moment.

Ronald trailed behind him, casting a pleading look back at me and gesturing towards Ares, until they disappeared into his office and the glass door slid shut.

I released a long, shaky breath I hadn't realized I was holding, leaning heavily against the wall. My head thudded against the cool surface, my heart pounding erratically in my chest.

My inner self wanted to confront everything, to be brave, to speak up. But why couldn't I just be like everyone else?

Why couldn't I act normal?

My fists clenched at my sides, my emotions swirling within me. Why was it so hard to accept Ares' gestures towards me?

Was I truly just a coward?

But then again...

I'm scared to love him like I used to do; wholeheartedly, unconditionally, limitlessly...

I don't think I can bring back that Elysia anymore...

I'm not just scared to give him a chance, but I'm scared to give myself a chance too...