49

Eden grew before his eyes into a fine woman. He was so proud of her…..

But the day when she entered the bookshop with Gabriel in tow, everything changed. 

“No…no…no….please…..” Crowley rasped dryly as another memory manifested. 

He had seen Gabriel huddled over a limp figure seconds before he lunged at Hastur. In the back of his mind, he knew that Eden was dying. He could smell it in the air. So much blood….

“Eden…Eden please….” Crowley whimpered, “You can't die….I got rid of Hastur and I'm here now….you can't die….” 

The room shook with Crowley’s wail of grief and agony when Eden died.

“You promised…..Fuck you and the Ineffable Plan! Fuck you!” He choked out those words shortly after they returned home with Eden’s broken body.

“I failed.” Crowley said as he couldn't take it anymore. His head slumped forward from exhaustion. The artificial projection started to flicker again as more memories followed in a rapid manner. Crowley tried to blink it away but it didn't work. 

(Please consider reading You Promised, to fully see Crowley’s painful rebuke, along with Bad Omens (Book One), to see the War unfold….)

  “Ugh!” Jeremiah spat. “What are your plans, demon?!” He kicked Crowley’s chair. “Show me what Satan has planned for us!” Crowley didn't seem to hear as the memories disappeared and the light in his eyes ebbed away. The last barrage of fading memories consisted of things irrelevant to him. “I don't care for your happiest moments!” He knew that since he wasn't an expert on potion making, that there would be some memories revealed that would be pleasant. Most likely it was the subject's body and mind rebelling against the foreign substance. But he didn't have time to ponder. Not now.

When Crowley sagged in his chair, completely spent, Adultery stepped forward to examine the demon. “It seems that the potion is wearing off.” This is exactly what happened with Furfur. The demon's eyes were now solid pools of yellow. The pupils were gone. Furfur's eyes were still a solid blue when they left him in the basement, babbling incoherently. 

“Blast!” Jeremiah swore. “I'll have the boy make a fresh batch. But for now, the girl should be waking up by now.” Jeremiah peered in between the cage bars. “Maybe she will spill whatever secret plots are in the works. She seems not as strong as her father.”