27: Eight Months Later 2

One night...

"Ate Veira, hindi ako sasama sa iyo sa meadow ngayong gabi." Paalam ni Lili sa kanya.

It was night time at gaya ng nakasanayan, the two of them were supposed to go deep in the mountain para magsanay.

"Bakit?"

"Lili has exam tomorrow. Let her study tonight. Ako na lamang ang tutulong kay nanay para maghanda ng mga iluluto bukas ng madaling araw."

"Then... should I not go too tonight?" Alangang tanong ni Veira. She didn't want to skip training but if they needed her help, she could be flexible too.

"No need." It was Nanay Onang who answered her. She came out from the kitchen after hearing the conversation between the two. "Kaya na namin ni Lili ito. Lumarga ka na ngayon, para makabalik ka ding agad. Wag ka masyadong magpagabi ha."

Veira felt helpless towards Nanay Onang. Surely, the old woman treated them as family. But sometimes, she was more lenient when it came to Veira. Plus when it comes to chores, she would give them first to either Lili or Lulu before her.

She didn't know kung wala lang bang tiwala sa kanya ang matanda. Maybe she was afraid to break all those ceramic plates and glasses kung siya ang maghuhugas nito.

Well... If that was really her reason, then she could only accept it. But if there were more reasons, then maybe she should have a heart to heart talk with Nanay Onang.

That won't be tonight though.

She really needed to train this body because she wanted to be in the same constitution and skill as her past life. No, it wasn't because she wanted to be a Great General again. No, thanks but that was a thankless job.

She only wanted to feel comfortable in her body as she used to be in her old one. And right now, she still had more trainings to do and rice to eat to get there.

***

Before Veira could step completely inside the meadow, she felt something wrong and stopped right away.

At first, everything was peaceful there. Until six people came out from the shadow and they were obviously fighting. Well, if you can consider one to five as fighting...

Veira hid well in the shadows and refrained from making any sounds. She wasn't a dumb person nor a saint. Although this was an unfair battle but she wouldn't step in right into it, just because. If she really needed to, she needed to know first if the other person was worth to be saved.

Anyway, swords clashed between these people. The lone man obviously could fight well since he could handle these five. Somehow, that gave Veira a peace of mind. A one to five battle was still uncomfortable for them.

In the middle of the fight, the lone man started coughing blood.

"Good! The poison is taking effect. Let's attack hard this time and kill the Crown Prince completely." One of the men in black garment said.

"En..."

Meanwhile, Veira was frowning this time. Poison? Did they poison that man just because they couldn't defeat him?

"Cowards! If you are real men, fight me fair and square!" The lone man said full of disdain.

"Your Highness, your taunts meant nothing to us. We only have one mission tonight and that is to kill you."

"Then you better make sure I am going to really die tonight. Otherwise, I will hunt your life."

"That's for sure, Your Highness." Then he nodded to his men and they started fighting again. But this time, it was more than just a one to five fighting. The lone man was apparently suffering from the poison and it was affecting his skills well.

The poison might be one of those that could affect the movement of a person. At first, Veira saw his sword hand was simply shaking. Then he finally dropped it. One of the enemies sword stabbed his body but he just groaned. Then with gritting teeth, he did his best to pick up the sword again and weild it with his other hand.

Good! This person's skill is not bad. Veira had a better impression of him. And not just her... Even the assassins going for his life felt a little bit of shame to lose this kind of talent. If he was allowed to grow more, he might really become that person at the top of the world.

"Your Highness, it is an honor to be the one to kill you tonight."

Veira almost coughed up blood too after hearing that. Wow! What a shameless person.

How could they still have that honor, eh? They used a freaking poison just to disable him! Ugh...

Unfortunately for this lone man, his fate might have already been sealed for real tonight. Because just a few minutes using his other hand, it started shaking too.

"Let's end this and go back early to report."

Once again, the man from the other side commanded and they all went to attack him at once.

*clang*

The meadow froze as soon as the swords clashed that moment.

That's because the assassins didn't expect that another person would block their swords which were aiming to deal a last blow towards the lone man.

"This seems fun. How about you let me join your fight, eh?" Veira told them.

There was a moment of silence in that meadow.

Then it was broken by someone.

"It's okay. Just a lady."

Veira's ears heated up upon hearing that.

JUST A LADY?????

Were she just looked down by these cowardly men who could only fight someone when they were grouping and using poisons???

She snorted and then kicked the sword of the lone man na nalaglag ng tuluyan sa paanan nito then caught it with her other hand. She faced the five assassins while weilding two swords with both hands.

"Come, come... Let this lady teach you some manners then."

***

The lone man was in dazed as he watched this lady fight with swords against the assassins sent to end his life.

It wasn't his first time meeting a female who could fight. In the army, there were women like that too. But those ladies...

They were quiet lacking femininity like this one in front of him. If he wasn't witnessing her go and attack the five assassins at once, he might thought that she was one of those home-cultured ladies who were taught since young with four arts and cultivated to be a virtuous housewife.

Also...

He didn't know if his eyes were blurry due to poison but... Was that a kitchen knife she was holding aside from his own sword?

Before he could completely decide what it was she was weilding, he heard the lady admonished the assassins.

"Well, how are you liking this lady's attacks, eh? Is it enough to make you remember not to look down on women?"

The fight didn't last though.

Gustuhin man ni Veira na isipin na dahil sa kanya kaya nagsipaktakbuhan ang mga ito, but she still knew her strength well.

Plus, she heard those footsteps clearly too.

It was more likely na dumating na ang resbak ng lalaking ito.

Veira put away her own silver knife and then pointed the man's sword at his own neck.

"Say... you are wearing this country's army uniform. But those people are calling you Your Highness. Are you a prince from whichever kingdom sent to a spy mission in this country?"

***