This isn't reality

My eyes glance around the room slowly, taking it all in. I glance down at my hands as they tremble slightly and I close my eyes, trying to remember exactly who or what, I saw. But it's weirdly difficult and I can't seem to be able to remember.

I opened my eyes and let out a sigh, that sure was an... interesting dream, it was so odd, the way the air smelled, the color of the trees, and how detailed that building was. It was all so perfectly clear that it felt... real.

But I could swear the building looked abandoned, so how did it do that? Like it just burst into life and color.

...I shouldn't think too hard about it, after all, it was simply a dream.

I pull the covers off me completely and step out of bed, I stretch a little as I decide to put the whole dream experience behind me and forget about it. (which is easy to do since I forget everything) I head into my bathroom take a quick shower, get dressed, and perform my little morning routine.

I yawn a bit and brace myself as I get my bag and open my door.

SLAM! SLAM!

Startled I freeze in place as two doors slam shut somewhere in the house. I let out a shaky sigh, not expecting them to still be mad in the morning. (I say that as if they aren't always mad) I close my bedroom door and lock it as I quickly make my way through the house and out the front door.

It's surprisingly bright and somewhat loud. Just a few feet forward is where the busy walk, people rush down the sidewalk and noisy cars drive past, I let out a small sigh as I turned right and headed down the less-walked path.

The grass and weeds are overgrown and spilling onto the sidewalk, but I carefully step over any wildflowers and continue on my way. It's surprisingly silent and peaceful despite the busy road on the other side, I like it. It makes life seem colorful, it feels, magical. Almost... familiar in a strange way.

But it soon becomes too overgrown for me to walk through and I'm forced to turn left and down toward the busy sidewalk, the world turning grey once again. Luckily it's only a short walk to where I'm going.

Where am I heading? I can't recall, whether it's work or school, it feels the same, a boring dull grey. Every day I walk in, sit, work, take a break, sit, have lunch, walk, work, and then I head back home where Ms. Inma regularly stops me for her little card game. (Whether I want her to or not)

I mean, that's what usually happens anyway.

Today though, I sit down, begin my work, and keep hearing a faint distant bell ring, but it doesn't sound like the one I usually hear.

Riiing...

There it goes again... but it's so quiet, so distant, yet it's as if I can hear it so clearly. It's so familiar but from where?

Rrriinng!

I flinch a bit, caught off guard by the bell I normally hear, going off. I sigh and get up, I walk for a bit, roaming the halls aimlessly. They're empty for the most part, except for the few people that pass by me now and then.

But as I'm walking I hear faint footsteps and chatter despite being alone. I stop and pause, taking in my surroundings. A long boring hallway, grey and bleak, (like my life), and a few unsettling paintings decorate the walls.

I close my eyes and the faint sounds become a bit louder. Multiple footsteps echo as if the halls were filled with people, loud conversations bounce about, each one a different topic.

I smile a bit, the atmosphere feels cheery and friendly, inviting even. So inviting I wished to be a part of it, to laugh and walk with them like I was living a normal, maybe even exciting life where everything didn't feel grey.