"She's gone, Adonis," Selena calls out to me. "It's time to start protecting your people again."

It must be a hallucination. All of this. It didn't make any sense. I leave the Underworld, I return to the school, quickly walking down the hallway. Somebody tries to say something to me, I ignore them as I walk quickly to her room.

I swing the door open. She's not there. I walk outside, it's now windy, I know that it's from me and my anger. I go behind the school, through the forest, looking for where they say they had buried her body.

I didn't believe it to be true until I saw fresh dirt, the size of a grave. I stand before it, the wind becomes more aggressive as I become more emotional. I didn't mean to, I didn't want to, why did I do it? 

I think of her smile, her laugh, maybe it was all fake, but at least it was mine.

I feel empty. I look to the side. I walk over, picking some flowers out of the ground and holding them in my hands as I returned to her grave. As I hold the flowers before her, I hear her words in my head, "Promise to always bring me flowers?"

My eyes begin to turn glossy as I hear myself reply, "I promise."

What was wrong with me? What was inside of me that made me do this, that made me even dream of it? 

I kneel and place the flowers against the dirt.

𓆩♡𓆪

V A L E R I A

Who would've thought that an angel would save my life. As Adonis lays, unconscious, I hold my heart, or lack thereof. Gabriel, he did a spell to protect me, to poison whoever tried to take my soul. 

I look at the girl, Selena. She steps toward me and I quickly stand up.

"You're not gonna want to do that," I say, making her stop. "You kill me, and you'll never know where the angel's body is."

"I can live with that," she states.

God, she was ruining everything. It felt strange, to have my black hair shown, to have my true self visible. Adonis knew I was a lie now. 

"Wait," I say again, which makes her stop, again. I'm forced to take a different approach. "You want Adonis. Don't you?"

The look in her eyes tells me the answer.

"Let him think I'm dead, let him try to search for the body that will never be found," I say. "Once he realizes he can't find it, he'll be stuck down here. With you."

Her eyes shift back and forth. I know she's considering it as she looks at Adonis. 

"He could be all yours," I say.

She continues to stare at him. With the holy water starting to dry, I knew I'd continue to appear as Valeria. 

"Leave," she says, and I know what I say worked. "Now. Before I change my mind."

I didn't wait. I didn't hesitate. I left the Underworld and ran through the forest, it felt like I ran forever until I reached the cave. My lungs burned from running, I hadn't become Valeria again yet so I couldn't fly. I walk down the stone steps and into the dark cave.

"He knows," I say into the darkness to her. "He knows I'm a mimic."

"He tried to kill me," I say, but this time, my tone is more upset. My white eyes look into the darkness.

She says, her voice calm, "I told you, Luella, he would not love you. He would end up killing you again."

"I know," I nod, my sadness showing in my voice. "I just thought it might be different this time."

"He will betray you, every single time," she says to me. She speaks in the darkness, I can't see her face, I never had before. 

Her words hurt more because I know them to be true. I'm annoyed at myself for thinking anything differently, for thinking things may be different this time, for thinking he would ever truly love me. A demon's curse is what I was a victim of.

"I've never betrayed you," she continues. The candles in the corner of the room burn and I look into the mirror on the wall. "200 years, Luella, and I've never betrayed you."

"I know," I nod. In the mirror I slowly see my white eyes becoming brown again as the effects of the holy water wear off. 

"So, you need to continue with the plan. This is nothing more than a slight setback," she says. "You know what you need to do to free me."

"You're so close," she continues. "You've been doing so well."

I smile at her words. It felt good to receive recognition for all I had done, for all I had endured. 

"You have all the angels dead. You have many demons dead. You just need to kill the rest of the demons, and then I'll be free - we'll be free, and we can have peace on Earth," her smooth voice speaks.

I knew what I had to do. I had to find Adonis again. The mind control I used on him was perfect. I used it to make him kill all the angels at the school, to kill his brother, I used it to make those students commit suicide.

"Wait," I say as I think about it and stop walking out of the cave. I look at the darkness behind me. "I know why I had Adonis kill the angels. But why did I have to make those students commit suicide?"

I wait for her answer.

Although I cannot see her face, I can feel her smile as she answers, "For fun."

Word Count: 1595

hey guys no need to ask me for an explanation as its explained in the next few chapters 😊