Chapter 8

A strike. It was the final decision the group, which was held in the bar, had decided. Most of the strikers could not find jobs, but few, like Mordan and Frski, were fortunate enough to work in certain fields. Mordan, nevertheless, was not carrying such a strike with his heart. He was, instead, irritated by the fact that he joined something he found as a waste of time. The mediocre leathercraft shop owner felt very glad to employ two workers from a highly praised leathercraft background. As for Frski, he left the company because of rising violence against his ethnicity.

In the new workshop, Assin's heir was dying a piece of leather, and Frski was rubbing another. The manager, a plumpy bald man with a grey beard who was working on something else at the back of the shop, said, "Can't believe it, those Paladins of Yushinda are coming back like frogs from their duties, what do you reckon has brought them back?"

Mordan's mind shifted to the Paladin-caused quarrel in Quarky, it had been a week ago since the event had happened.

"They said they've made a deal, because a new strong army is rising there, weirdly enough, right?", said a worker.

"A deal? I would call it surrender, if such thing is," replied the manager.

"I believe they have got enough goods right there, no need for more fighting and pillage. I know some of them, and they told me that Yushinda has got a new scary emperor. Weird tales are surrounded about him, like that he uses magic. They say that he is called 'The Death Sickle'. If I were them, I wouldn't mess with such a kind."

Frski added scornfully, "Those lots are just having laughter now. Hanging around, jerking over, and showing off."

The manager stayed silent before continuing, "Anyway, they deserve to cheer after all the fighting they've had. Serving as Paladins of the great Eunoph against the blasphemers in Yushinda is a great honour, let alone the fact that they have brought much gold to us from their campaigns...", he kept talking, but Mordan's mind wandered away. A unification had happened in Yushinda before Yoqori, Mordan thought. The result was the protection of that land from any invader. This brought him back to the mission he was assigned to do, helping Yoqori reaching its glory, to get protected from invaders as well. Again, he felt that he was being too slow for action, and he quivered at the thought of finding himself at the middle of chaos, totally helpless.

"Hey, Mor-boy, what do you reckon about those Paladins?", asked a small-faced worker. They all started staring at him.

"Me?" Said Mordan, "Things are not much clear about why the Paladins returned. If the temple, which controls these expeditions, is done with Yushinda, then why the templars keep preaching about having to hate Yanophians? You've heard them yesterday, right?"

"Do you expect they'll return outseas again?", asked the manager.

Mordan nodded gravely. Then everybody's attention shifted to the 'Caller', a man who speaks news loudly, and who gathers people for public meetings.

"O people of the Quarter, People of Salawan, Behold! The highest priest holds fresh news for you, follow me and assemble!"

They followed him with a large group of curious quarter inhabitants till they reached a quarter square, the Caller talked again:

"I announce, from the highest priest of the Eunoph temple Simon Danjuman," whispers started to rise around him, and Mordan frowned in curiosity at the mention of that strange name, the caller continued, "that the need arises again for Holy engagement," gasps were heard, "The council calls, by the consent of the temple, for every house to present at least one of their male children to the holy training, they shall become a part of the holy army to honour their God, their nation, and their families."