42|FORTY TWO

“Khan,” Zaviyar chewed on his words as he let his gaze wander around at his wife who had visibly paled. He forced his eyes shut and counted till three under his breath before he opened them.

Khan sahb had been keeping it to himself and Zaviyar wondered why but seeing how he chose to humiliate her in front of a stranger made his blood simmer with rage. Sure, She loved him and married him but that was not her fault- he loved her too and the fact that he never loved Noorul Ain always went over Khan sahb's head. Khan sahb wanted to marry her off to him but not without the ulterior motive given the fact that the entirety of Ali Dawar fortune was to be inherited by him.

“You do not get to disrespect my wife like that.” He denied consent to be spoken to his wife in that manner- his eyes, already darkening. He looked to his father to find him perceiving the situation silently.

“Who do you think you are to order me boy?” He cackled a little, showing how he wouldn't take advice from a man who betrayed his daughter.

“Khan.” Zaviyar stressed on his name again before Quadri sahb decided to excuse himself to give the family their privacy. In the end, the hoops did not go to either woman and remained with Israr Quadri.

Noorul Ain, on the other hand, decided to keep her silence and watch how things unfolded in front of her. She was undoubtedly hurt by what had been going on with her since the past month but something in her told her to not jump in between their arguments- her peace was very precious to be polluted by their anger. She agreed to marry Hisham on one condition- to leave Zaviyar and Maheen alone and not cause problems to them but seeing how her father had already started, she realized she needed to reconsider her decision.

“Zaviyar, take your wife and go to your room.” Ali Dawar sahb said when he saw the rage that waged between the two of them. He was in no mood to entertain them. He would rather have his son gone than to have his brother in law toss the entire haveli on his son's head.

“He won't go anywhere.” Noorul Ain stood up, collecting the jewelry boxes that she chose for her wedding and glanced between her father and Zaviyar.

She had sacrificed so much for him only to give him up to another woman in the end. She was happy with him going to another woman because the said woman awakened love in him- she had tried for years and couldn't make it come true. She gave up on him when she heard his voice on the call that day- his voice was so full of love for his wife that there were no traces of remorse. She couldn't hate them. She couldn't hate the man she loved and the woman her love loved.

Noorul Ain walked up to Maheen who had her head ducked down- tears threatening to spill out. She was happy just a few minutes ago. She was so happy that her heart swelled with happiness and she was so happy that one could easily see it in her eyes but in no moment, her happiness was snatched away by one remark that left her world shaking.

“Maheen?” Noorul Ain's soft call had Maheen look up at her as she tried to drink back her tears. She didn't want to cry, not in front of the man who chose to aim his shot at a place that hurt the most. Khan sahb had always been contemptible and looked at her with spite but he could have been a little kind in front of an outsider.

“Here, take this.” Noorul Ain put the boxes she held in her hands, extending a pair of ear studs that she chose to take to her in-laws. Maheen looked at the studs and then at Noorul Ain and wondered how big of a heart she had got. However, she knew better than to take it from her.

“Are you in your right senses? They are your wedding jewelry, you better take it back, Noor.” Khan sahb grumbled- his anger apparent on his face. Maheen winced as she picked herself up from the couch and went to stand next to her husband only to stand behind him. She wouldn't have taken it from her anyway. She wouldn't have taken jewelry from a bride who was just about to get married.