Thoughts and Dreams

Spring | Home | Promise

"Boruto..."

Boruto's fuzzy vision hazed into focus. He blinked once, twice, and looked up to a smile playing on her lips against the backdrop of dark branches and pale pink flower clusters. Her hand gently toyed with his hair, a soft sparkle set in her eyes.

Cherry blossom petals floated down around them like snow, blanketing the area in pale pink. A breeze rustled the trees, filling his lungs with fresh spring air.

His body felt like a cloud; no sword, no cape, no weight on his chest. Other than the weight of one of her hands, lovingly running her fingers over the black marking that characterized his attempted death over and over in a soothing motion as if she was appreciating the fact that he was still alive.

A gust of wind blew a wayward petal into her hair, stopping just near her temple, decorating her like an accessory. Boruto reached up, uncurling his lax fingers and brushed it to the side. Her smile softened as she closed her eyes and leaned into his hand.

Her skin felt like the cotton of the white T-shirt he used to wear. Touching it left a slight tingling sensation on his fingertips, even when his hand pulled fully away.

Boruto closed his eyes again and his brows furrowed. He didn't know how this was possible, he just knew that he missed her terribly. Seeing her here like this, playing with his hair, his head in her lap, all of it felt like heaven. "Sarada," he whispered, a tear leaking out of the edge of his eye.

"Mm?"

Her voice was soft, the way it sometimes was when they were alone together, when she wasn't mad at him. The way it got when she comforted him, the times when she was the only one that could comfort him, because she was the only one that understood all of the things he was going through.

He couldn't go back to her. He couldn't face her... And yet here she was.

His heart wrenched in his chest, and before he knew it... He was kissing her.

It was over as soon as it started, his heart pounding, blinking slowly. He should've remembered some sensation on his lips, but there was nothing. Just air and all of the overwhelming feelings that came with what he'd done. "I..."

"What is it?" she said gently.

Boruto bowed his head, more tears dripping off of his face and onto her lap. This was wrong. He knew it was somehow wrong, but... His face contorted as tightness crawled up his throat. "I missed you. So much."

All she did was smile in response, an angelic smile that never faded. One that didn't seem real.

His chest grew heavier and heavier, his head beginning to spin. He couldn't lose sight of her. But she was fading. Growing distant. Still smiling amongst the cherry blossoms, sitting on his mother's picnic blanket, waiting for him. But he couldn't get there.

"Sarada!"

"Boruto," she said gently. "What's wrong?"

"Sarada," he cried again, reaching his hand out. All he wanted was to hold her. He wanted someone to hold him. He was scared. Where was he? Where was he going?

With a gasp, Boruto's muscles contracted and heaved his upper body off the ground. The blanket fell from his chest, breaths heaving, eye wide. He gritted his teeth and covered his face with one hand.

"Nightmare?"

Sliding his hand down his face, he closed his open mouth and forced his strained breaths through his nose, staring at the crackling glow of the fire and Kashin Koji idly sitting on the other side.