A Visit From the Future

Free day | Hug | Stupid Boruto

**The ending of this one-shot has been heavily edited. The original will still be on ff.net, same username, if anyone decides they like that version better**

It was supposed to be nothing more than a normal Saturday. Sarada slipped on her usual clothes, spun a shuriken towards her target board (without her glasses for extra practice), brushed her teeth and hair in the mirror, and set to work on breakfast. She had a team 7 meeting with Boruto and Mitsuki in Kaminari Burger in 33 minutes to discuss strategies for the chunin exams. If they had to work together to pass, they needed better coordination as a team. 

Just as the water in the electric kettle reached a boil, a strange flash bathed the entire room in light and demanded her full attention. No one was behind her. There wasn't anyone behind the couch, outside her windows, in her yard... Not even on her roof.

Sarada's furrowed brows remained knitted as she returned inside. Five minutes of searching with her Sharingan yielded no results.  Did Boruto seriously think that now was a good time to play a prank on her? Or did a bird drop a flashbang and pick it back up before she could find it?

Just as she picked up her kettle back up, a warm hand slid onto her shoulder and made her flinch so badly that the stream of scalding water splashed onto the counter. "Excuse me?!"

"Sorry..." The voice was so strikingly similar to hers... And only one person could manage to imitate her this well in a henge... But Boruto would never apologize for a prank.

When her eyes met the hand's owner, she nearly dropped the kettle altogether. 

The girl looked strikingly similar to herself. Short raven hair stuck up in places like tamed cowlicks, metal-framed glasses sat on the bridge of her short nose, heart-shaped lips against the backdrop of pale skin. Her jacket resembled Boruto's, but it was much too large and red and hung off one bare shoulder to reveal a sleeveless one-piece with a belt around her waist. Uchiha earrings dangled from her ears, a black choker with a metal ring wrapped around her neck, and flared socks halfway covered her tall platform heels. Rather than wearing a Konoha headband, her ninja insignia was pinned to the front of her jacket. 

Did her parents have a second child and never tell her about it? Were there other remaining Uchiha that not even her father knew about?

Sarada's back pressed into the counter, her tense fingers lightly gripping the edge. "W-Who are you?"

"I was trying not to scare you... Well... Me... I... Just..." The girl looked toward the ceiling to prevent fresh tears from leaking from her dark eyes. "I'm sorry... Talking to you like this seems to be the only way..."

The only way? Going back? Sarada found it within herself to set down the kettle and put a pause on breakfast. She eased away from the counter and gave the girl one more once over. "You're... me?"

A small nod was all she offered.

So this was what she looked like... several years in the future. The way she stared at Sarada's rice bowl as if it was painfully familiar said it all. "I'm not sure what happened, but you should sit down... Assuming you have the time. Would you like breakfast?"

 "I'm not hungry." Her tone was dreary, footsteps slow as she padded into the living room. 

Sarada glanced over her shoulder, pouring hot water over what was now two cups of jasmine tea. Her future self ran her fingers along the edge of her family photo. Something must've happened to them.

Her father didn't come home very often... Was it something to do with why he was always out on secret missions? 

She spooned some rice out of the rice cooker, got a packet of furikake out of the pantry, loaded everything onto a tray, and turned around.