Sarada's Birthday Present

Sarada's Day | Hokage | Rebel

It's the last day! And finally time for a one shot I'm decently proud of x) Post Time-skip in cannon, fluffy, and a little hint of angst.

Sarada's head was exploding. Not literally, but the working capacity of her brain felt like an old, stretched-out rubber band that was pulled tight and ready to snap. It was no wonder Naruto made thousands of clones and still couldn't keep up with the demands of being Hokage.

Why was her signature needed for workers to cut down the trees to build a toy store? Did she have to sign off on a mission to prove an old lady's lost cat had been found? Why did she have to be involved with the academy, with welfare projects, with making sure retired folks had enough money to get by? Weren't there other divisions, other people that handled some of these things?

No. Apparently, the Hokage had to do all of it.

With the upcoming organization of the chunin exams and all the meetings that would follow, Sarada decided. She wanted to rebel against all of her work, against Konoha, against everything.

A tiny knock against her door was all it took for her mangekyo to flash red, sunlit eyes glaring at the door, her tone forced as she grunted, "What."

Shikadai poked his head halfway in the door. "I'm sensing major bloodlust in here... But is it alright if I come in?"

"As long as you're here to help me and not give me more work." She stamped another mission report and set it in the giant stack on the right, deactivating her eyes.

Her bad mood was partially due to the workload, partially due to the fact that it was her time of the month, and partially due to the fact that Boruto had been gone for three weeks now on some atonement mission with an unknown return date. What did he need to atone for? She was the Hokage, for crying out loud. No one was going to kill him, and if they tried, they'd be arrested. End of story.

Sarada took another deep breath in and sighed. The other reason she was frustrated was because it was her birthday... And she specifically told everyone not to celebrate. There were too many things for her to do and her mood was too foul for congratulatory company. Despite herself, she was hoping the people who stopped by would at least acknowledge the special day... Unfortunately, three people had been in and none of them ever mentioned it.

"About the Chunin exams..." Shikadai started. "Shinki called and said he picked three genin to participate. I haven't gotten word from the Mizukage or Tsuchikage yet, but it should be coming soon."

"Is that all?"

"That, and..." Shikadai looked at the ground. He tucked his thumb into his fist, a nervous habit Sarada came to recognize when he was holding back on telling her something.

"Go ahead," she sighed. "What is it?"

"...Well, it's good news, really. Boruto came back."

Sarada froze. She slowly lifted her head. "He's... back?"

"That's all," said Shikadai, quickly walking out of the office. "I'm sure he'll be by in a little bit, so... I just wanted to give you a heads up. In case. You know."

In case what?! I don't know anything! She tried to remain calm until the door closed, but the second it clicked shut, her fingers curled into her short raven hair.

No. Work. There was no romance, there was only work. She picked up a paper. Scanned it. And without really reading it, signed her name at the bottom.

It wasn't like she had to be concerned about why that idiot came back early... Specifically on her birthday. Especially not... After kissing her forehead.