School Trip! Test of Courage

Boruto's Day | Scar | Jacket

Shino held a clipboard, the fire crackling in front of him as he spoke. "Does everyone have a flashlight?"

"Yes sir!" The students all responded in unison.

"Alright. Come up to the front and draw your numbers! No cheating and switching with someone to be with a friend!"

Boruto stood in line next to Shikadai and Inojin, his hands folded behind his head. "Ah, I don't understand why we gotta do something this lame. It's the school trip. Shouldn't we be doing ninja stuff?"

"This is 'ninja stuff' you idiot," said Sarada, her hands on her hips. "There's obviously going to be traps in the forest. It's a test of how well we can keep our calm and avoid them, and coordinate to work with someone outside of our usual friend group."

"Hmm... Aren't they going to try to scare us by acting like ghosts and stuff?" Boruto grinned, holding his hands out like a zombie in front of him and groaning.

"O-Of course there's not going to be ghosts!"

"Hehe... Better watch your back, Sarada. Sadako might come crawling out of the forest after you."

"You really think I'm stupid enough to believe you?"

Boruto sighed and shoved his hand into the box. "Let's see... Oh! I got number nine. Inojin! What number are you?"

"Four." Inojin sighed. "Why do we have to pair up randomly anyway? This sucks."

"Hm." Sarada put one hand on her hip, holding up an unfolded paper with the number four written in black marker. "You can say that again."

Inojin's shoulders slumped. "Geh. My partner for this is Sarada?"

"Hehe," Shikadai smirked, walking over next to Boruto, both holding up matching number nines. "It's all in the luck of the draw."

There were quite a few mismatched pairs wandering around. Sumire was with Metal who was quite the nervous wreck. Denki and Houki formed a team, Iwabe and Namida, Cho-Cho and Wasabi, and the most terrifying pair was Mitsuki and Hako. Between Mitsuki's gleaming eyes and Hako's mysterious aura, it seemed like they were going to scare away any ghosts that tried to attack them.

"Well?" Boruto put his elbow on Shikadai's shoulder. "It's our first night in the village of the mist. Might as well enjoy it!"

That was when... A thick fog coated the entire area.

"Oi, sensei, what is this?" Inojin asked, his empty blue eyes scanning their quickly fading surroundings.

"Ah. I asked one of the shinobi here to use Kirigakure's special jutsu on the area for this training exercise. Reach the objective where Anko-sensei is waiting within twenty minutes. There will be traps and other distractions awaiting you in the woods. Do your best to keep calm and work together as a team! However... The use of ninjutsu is prohibited! Any team caught using ninjutsu will be disqualified and receive a failing grade."

"Ehhh?" The class whined.

"Even though it's a school trip, we're still learning to hone our instincts as ninja! Sometimes that means preserving our chakra or running on empty, especially in enemy territory. This will be an important training exercise in reaction and instinct in a terrain you don't usually get to travel!"

"Either way," said Boruto, putting his hands behind his head. "This'll be a piece of cake. Right, Shikadai?"

Shikadai only slouched. "What a drag..."

"You'll leave in 10-minute intervals from each other. I'll let you know when to start. You'll go in order of the numbers assigned on the papers you pulled!"