What is Love

Eyes | Teasing | Distance

(Reading experience will be enhanced if you're caught up with the new chapter of TBV)

"Boruto... You're here."

"It's rare of you to want to speak to me directly. What is it, Eida?"

She leaned onto the rail of the wooden deck, scanning the field surrounding the house she lived in with Kawaki and Daemon, Mitsuki and Sarada always on standby. A breeze blew her blue hair gently to the side, her turquoise eyes set on the horizon. "You have a bit of time now, don't you?"

"...I suppose you'd know better than I would." 

"To you... What is love?"

His hardened gaze trailed to the wooden deck under his boots. "Love, huh... I'm guessing you don't mean the family type?"

"Tell me honestly. I'm beginning to rethink some things and I want your input."

Boruto eyed Daemon. The look on his brattish face said he'd better talk whether he had the time or not. He sighed and opened his hand, staring down at the black diamond on his palm. 

Memories seeped into Boruto's mind as the breeze buffeted his hair and cape --  The rush of anger that overtook him at the sight of her in a defensive stance, Code glaring down at her, surrounding her with ten tails. The protective furry that consumed him until his foot smashed Code's face in, even though he was supposed to ask to work with him. He snapped. Panicked. How dare he tell her to scream pretty to summon him? 

And then... There was the nostalgia and warmth and pain that crashed over him like a flood when her arms wrapped tight around his waist. It felt like for the first time in three years... He was finally home.

Three years ago, he would have said that home was Himawari, racing to the entryway, jumping on his back to welcome him with a bright smile. A warm homemade meal waiting on the table, prepared by the best of the best. Getting scolded if he hadn't returned by the time the table was set. You're late. What took you so long?

But as she settled into his arms, Sarada's voice contained familiar warmth as she repeated the words he had heard countless times before. The sternness in her tone carried a subtle undercurrent of relief and longing, revealing just how deeply she had missed him during his absence.

He wanted to be by her side instead of talking to Eida. He needed to talk to her again, but with the way things were, he didn't know if he'd ever have the time. 

Especially after settling things with Kawaki. 

He was worried... That she'd try to step in and get hurt. 

In that pivotal moment three years ago when Kawaki's onslaught threatened to claim his life, Sarada stood in front of Boruto, determined to protect him. Her decision to send Sasuke to save him showed the depth of her commitment to ensuring his life, even at the risk of turning her father into a traitor again. 

Despite the chaos that came with his return, Sarada trusted him enough to leave everything to him and save the others, doing exactly as he said. And when everything was finally calm and he had to bring her the news of her father's treeification, she ran to him without hesitation, her love for him evident in the strength of her arms... Even if her love wasn't the same painful burning that characterized the way he'd come to love her.

Boruto clenched his fist. "I guess since you have Daemon, you've never had to watch the people you love get hurt..."

"You tryin' to say something?"