Chapter: Void and Wits

Start from the beginning

"Do you have any idea how much this is worth...?"

"Why do you think I'm here? You're the expert~ Besides, this is only a small grain of the real thing..."

"W-what?!" The man stopped himself from acting out and cleared his throat. "How much do you..."

Amelia raised her hand to stop him.

"Like I said, this is a bargaining chip." She placed her hand on the page. "Let me join the hunt."

"I don't know what you're talking about..."

"Let me ask you this then: Has anyone ever told you that the boundaries around us are all fake? All it takes a single strike to break the glass..."

Her riddled tone kept the man quite for a moment before he snatched the page from her then tilted his head.

"Come with me."

The man guided Amelia out of the store through the back where an alleyway led to a stairwell descending into the unknown dark.

As the man walked down first with a torch on, Amelia glanced over her shoulder to see a synchronized flash of light atop the roof of the pawn shop. Settled in relief she followed him down, the dampness of the walls around here only amplified the pressure of the situation before her but all Watson could think of was how cliche this scenario felt.

So much so that she felt like backing out and letting Cyrus deal with this himself. But she knew she's already locked in and can't run away now.

The deeper they went, the brighter their surroundings got as the two entered a tunneled hall. They entered it through a metal door and on the other end was another metal door.

"Wait here for a bit." The man left Amelia in the hall while entering the next room himself.

Amelia quickly tapped in on her communications. "So far so good. I don't think you can sneak into a place like this bud I'll let you know if things go south."

"..."

"Cyrus?"

"..."

"Ughh! Don't tell me there's no connection here, this is a radio!"

She suddenly snapped back to the door with her best look once she heard the door open again.

"H-hey! So?" She waved at the man.

"You'll be meeting the master directly." He answered in a low whisper.

"Alright, is...is he here?"

"You'll see." Without another word, he lunged forward and slammed a rag over Amelia's mouth.

The shock of his action made her gasp, ultimately forcing her to inhale the fumes doused in the rag. Everything went slow, then hazy, then quiet and then finally, black.

°

°

°

"Hey, Ina?" Gura called out aimlessly.

"What's up?"

"Have you ever just felt like you're supposed to know something's wrong but you can't figure out what it is?"

"....Um."