Chapter 22

"General, I have some news" Rui-Chan says when he finds me later in the day. I gesture to him to be quiet as Danni is sleeping and I follow him outside the house.

"What happened?" I ask.

"So that woman is actually a political hostage, she is from the grasslands and is considered to be equivalent to a princess. She was taken here to eventually marry and to keep the peace us and the Grasslands. The problem is that we found in her possession the Blood Mask Plant. She has been taken to the royal prison, but we still don't know why she did what she did since she won't talk. The Emperor has said that we cannot torture or kill her as she is a political hostage and we can't afford another war at the border now." Rui-Chan explains.

"So did she do that on purpose to me? Or was it just random?" I ask knowing there is no answer.

"What is also interesting is that she won't speak and the only thing that she is saying is that she wants to speak to your wife. She says she will speak to no one else" Rui-Chan says, looking concerned at me.

"What? Juli wants to speak to me?" Danni says coming out of the house.

"Danni, you should be resting, of course you won't speak to her, it is just a trick. She is just using you as she is working for the Grasslands" I say coming over to her.

"No, I need to understand her, she was a friend besides she may just tell me what her objective is in doing this" She says looking up with pleading eyes.

"But you are still ill" I say, touching her hand.

"I am almost better" She says and I sigh.

"We can revisit this idea if Zi-An agrees you are well enough for the stress" I say and guide her back into the house and she nods her head in agreement. I sit her down and pour her a warm cup of tea.

"How is your shoulder doing?" She asks.

"It is almost brand new, I think the deep sleep actually gave my body time to rest and heal, so maybe it wasn't the worst thing" I say smiling at her.

"Oh that is a relief" She says and goes back to her cup of tea.

"Why is that?" I ask curious.

"Well that means we can leave the palace soon then?" She says smiling.

"You are right, once you are better, I think it is best for us to leave" I say somewhat relieved that she wants to leave here with me. I know that she doesn't have any feelings for Prince Sun Ying, but yet at the back of my mind I felt like it was a close call for her being taken from me.

What did Prince Sun Ying mean when he said that you have scars and that I gave them to you?" I ask somewhat hesitantly as I have been wanting to ask this since that night. She looks up at me and seems a bit frozen and stiff after I asked her.

"Nothing, he just saw a scar and thought you had hurt me" She says putting her arms down in her lap.

"He seemed quite outraged and angry with me. It must be more than a little scar? How did he see these scars?" I ask.

"Must you always doubt me? I was having a nightmare and lifted up my sleeves, I did not do anything indecent with Prince Sun Ying" She says standing angrily and walks away from me.

"I'm sorry Danni, I wasn't meaning to doubt you, that was a dumb question" I say and run after her and grab her arm.

"I am just not ready for this right now" I say and I nod my head.

"You are right, you can tell me everything when you are ready" I say and drop her arm and she turns to look at me.

"Thank you, all I can think about dealing with Juli right now" She says and I guide her back inside to get some rest.