eight | they know me

Start from the beginning

"I think Russia— the Center... well, and an asylum." 

"The Center?"

"An assassin organization."

I know I've said too much. Her eyes widen. Great now she thinks I'm crazy crazy crazy oh why do I have to be crazy? 

I mumble more things, and eventually she switches the conversation and I ramble about clouds and killing and crazy crazy crazy

But the doesn't seem to think I'm crazy. She smiles and laughs. She is solemn and understanding. 

"... without the mafia. I want peace," I say. 

She smiles. "I do, too." 

I think I like Evelyn Rhodes. 

***

The villa we're renting near the Clemente's one is small. At least, that's what Father called it. It's the opposite of small, though. Ten bedrooms, a massive tub of water— Mother called it a pool— and we can swim in it.

The villa is right on the ocean. I have never seen the ocean before. I suppose I've been flown over it, but I was always unconscious during plane trips. 

I really want to swim, but then Mother showed me my swimsuit. It's really pretty, with little rosebuds and a pink base under it, but it doesn't cover my legs or my arms. 

My legs have scars and scratches on them. My arms are burned. I've seen many other girls at the Center. Many have scars like me, but some lucky, older ones have soft, smooth skin. 

I'm utterly jealous of those girls. I only want to be pretty. 

Pretty

Girls

Are 

Safe

At the Center, many of the pretty ones were taken away each night. They came back in the morning crying, but they were not punished. Not ever. 

I was dragged away... I was hurt in Sir's office... but I was still punished on top of all of that. Why was I hurt? 

Was I not not not pretty? 

I blink. I sit at the edge of the sandy beach, watching the waves roll around. They're waving at me. I smile and wave back. "Hello. How are you?" I ask the wave. 

The wave grins at me. "I'm good. Why are you all alone?" It asks. 

I shrug and sigh quietly. "I snuck out here. I don't want to be with anyone now." 

"Oh? Why?" 

I shrug. "It's too much. I don't know these people, but they all know me. I don't remember them. It's like I'm suffering from amnesia and I can't remember my whole life." 

The wave is silent for a long time after my small outburst. I get nervous and worry that it left me, that it no longer wants to listen to my problems. 

More waves start rolling in. I move backwards on my bottom to avoid being hit by the water. "Wave— or whatever your name is? Are you there?" I ask. 

The wave returns with a warm movement. "Yes, I'm here."

"Oh, good. I thought you left me alone. I don't want to be alone. You're such a great friend for being water." 

The wave smiles. It playfully splashes my bare feet. I giggle and pull my feet underneath my legs. "You're so silly," I laugh, sticking my hand in the sand. It's warm. The texture is soothing. 

The sun begins to change into different hues. It's orange and yellow and pink. I love sunsets. They're much better than sunrises, and normal daylight sun. 

"Do you want to join me out here?" The wave asks, swimming around. I smile, but I shake my head sadly. 

"No. I don't want to go put on a swimsuit." 

The wave grins. "You don't need a swimsuit! Come on, join me right now! We'll have so much fun together." 

I stand, and walk forward. The water beckons me inside. "Swim, swim! Swim with me! Let's go out to sea!" It shouts. I step into the water. It's cold, but I don't jerk away. 

Farther and farther I go until my entire body is covered by water. The wave smiles at me. It keeps rolling farther away from the villa.

I keep walking to it until I can't. I can't swim. I kick my feet but it's so hard to keep my head above water. But what would happen if I stopped trying? 

Sink into the water. 

Let the water take you away. 

Stop breathing. Sink in. 

Just as my feet stop moving and my nose begins to be filled by water, I hear voices. My vision becomes fuzzy. I see darkness as arms wrap around me. 

———

Hello, loves!

I'm so sorry for this late chapter! I've been experiencing terrible writer's block lately, and my mind is all over. Hopefully that doesn't show in my writing though ;) 

Please vote and comment! 

You're all angels! 

Au revoir,

Eva