Chapter 3 - Shattered

Song recommendation for this chapter:

Endless Bonds and Broken Promises by Krale 

In our Karfunkel Playlist song no. 2: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5ViQN321tHZZnxgG5DHhMt?si=82abc50d5fcf48fe

The fading light of day enveloped everything in an orange-red fire that burned inevitably like an ember towards its end

The fading light of day enveloped everything in an orange-red fire that burned inevitably like an ember towards its end. As if it wanted to mourn and close its eyes to this sight, the sun seemed to turn its face away, sink behind the treetops, and draw the mourning veil of nightfall over the world.

Only slowly did the sticky threads of the black faint loosen, releasing Lir's sluggish mind back into the painful awareness of reality.

Pain was the first thing to penetrate the fog, like the points of knives cutting into her flesh with sharpened blades. Her arm ached. Her head hurt. Actually, her whole body ached, and her tongue tasted the metallic flavor of her blood.

Then Lir was blinded by the light her eyes blinked against, even before she moved the first muscle. The slender woman's body straightened with a clenched groan. Her once white, beautiful, but now tattered feathers rustled with this movement, and beneath her, the leaves, still lush at midday, seemed to rustle sorrowfully.

Lir's breathing was heavy. The guardian's head throbbed terribly, and when her fingers felt for it, the tanned fingertips were stained with blood from the wound on her forehead. Golden eyes lingered on the shimmering red that smeared her copper skin.

Heilyn! Cian!

Suddenly, her sluggish mind seemed to flow faster again, and then, like a river rushing inevitably on its way into the valley, every clear thought swept away. The transformed Rabin jumped to her feet so quickly that she felt dizzy. Every heartbeat pounded loudly like a drumbeat in her ears and seemed to want to hammer the value of each one painfully into her soul.

Her heart seemed to want to burst in her chest as she looked at the picture of misery that had been her peaceful life just a few hours ago. Now it lay in ruins... irretrievable, irreplaceable, lost forever.