Back in Place

I heard sirens again and then some yelling. My neck was hurting, so was my head, my legs and my general everything. I felt like I just got hit by a truck. Which probably wasn't far from reality. I felt pain everytime I breathed, I was certain that the airbag broke another of my ribs.

As I opened my eyes everything was blurry specially on my right eye, I could barely see shit to the right. To my left though I saw Lewis, leaning over the steering wheel, unconscious.

"Lewie?" I placed a hand on his shoulder, suppressing the urge to shake him. The mere movement made my whole body ache, if I moved him it would probably hurt both of us.

I looked to my right and saw a tree blocking the passenger door, I wasn't getting out that way. I saw flashing blue and red lights that made me feel relieved for a brief moment, before I smelled the gas. The car was going to light up like a Christmas tree with us inside.

"Lewis, Lewis, get up." I called him again. I heard him groan and he moved a little.

He finally woke up, putting a hand over his head. He mumbled something I didn't understand. He was concussed and disoriented. I couldn't ask him for help in that state.

"Lewie..." I couldn't help the whine that left my mouth. We're going to die, he's going to die and it'll be my fault.

Things got dark and blurry, I saw shadows moving around. I think those shadows were people. I heard voices too.

"They're here! I found them!" Someone yelled and the door on Lewis' side opened. It was a man but I couldn't tell who he was.

Another person joined him, they put a C collar on Lewis and got him out. Everything was hazy, I didn't know what was going on. The one of the guys who took Lewis out came back for me. I panicked thinking that they were taking us back to that basement. I tried getting away from him when he placed another C collar on my neck, but then he spoke.

"It's okay son, I got you, you'll be fine now." I recognized that voice, like I heard it every day of my life, but I couldn't quite put a face to it.

"Dad?" I called him dad on reflex when he placed a delicate hand on my cheek but that wasn't my dad. No, that's not my dad. It's Bianco. I relaxed and let him check me up.

"Yeah- no, yes- I got you now, don't worry." He fumbled with the C collar to put it on my neck. The other guy came back and they pulled me out. I realized there that the other guy was a paramedic, I recognized his face and uniform. I didn't remember his name though.

"Is he stable?" He asked, as they carried me out of the car and into a stretcher.

"Yes, he, he's fine- stable, he's good for transport." Bianco was stumbling with his words. His face was full of worry and I didn't really know why. Was my condition bad? That couldn't be what he was worried about, he just said I'm fine.

"Bianco, he'll be fine. I got this, relax." The paramedic placed a hand on Bianco's chest to push him away when he got in the ambulance. "Go, ride with the other kid."

Bianco made a pained expression but didn't argue with the man. He let go of the stretcher, I panicked.

No, wait, don't go.

I wanted to say that but my mouth wasn't working properly. I reached for his arm but grabbed the coat he was wearing instead. It was a weird feeling. I wanted him to stay but I also wanted him to make sure Lewis was okay. I think that mainly I wanted to go check on Lewis with him but I couldn't do that in my condition.

"He- Bianco, Lewis, he needs- get him a rape kit..."

"Okay, okay, I'll make sure he gets one." He held my hand between his gently before putting it down on the stretcher. He brushed some hair off my face with a gentleness I didn't know he had, before heading to the other ambo.