Transgressions

Bianco looked around at the empty emergency room but before any words could leave his mouth the head nurse of the night shift got in the way.

"Your plan for the night is to stay here, in the ER, as you should." She said, giving us dirty looks, apparently Maggie didn't waste any time to fill in everyone on why we're here.

"Rose, darling, you know we're good kids." I chimed in, doing damage control, having your reputation slandered by a head nurse was not a good thing, but she just rolled her eyes at me.

"Good kids my ass." She snarled. "If I see you two sneaking out, I'll make sure you get suspended without pay." She then proceeded to hand us assignments and send us our way.

"You're so mean..." I pouted, I was mostly offended that my charms didn't work on her, they work on everyone.

"Get a move on." She raised an eyebrow at me, totally unimpressed. Almost everyone at least.

Rose kept watching us like a hawk the whole shift, I couldn't get a breather to check on Milo or see if Sophia ever came back for her bag, and Bianco was in the same situation as me. He was starting to get fidgety, from not knowing how our dying kid was doing, and I could tell he was about to blow. Then Rose got a call that seemed to be about a patient, she muted the call and turned to me.

"Hey, Parrish, did you treat a guy with a chemical burn earlier?"

"Yeah, a college student, Josh."

"Do you remember in which room we checked him in?" She asked.

"Huh..." I closed my eyes and tilted my head up, trying to remember. "Oh! It was 203, why?"

"Apparently one of the nurses gave him something he was allergic to, they managed to give him an epy pen but his friend is not letting anyone near him." She looked at the report and then back at me. "He said and I quote 'get that annoying gay dude, at least he seemed to know what he was doing', can you go up there and make sure the kid doesn't die?" She said in a tired voice, holding the phone between her neck and her shoulder.

"How did you know he was talking about me with only that vague description?" I squinted my eyes at her and she responded by raising an eyebrow. "Okay, fine! But I'm stopping by the PICU, there's a kid I need to check on."

"Yeah, sure, as long as you stop him from punching a security guard, go wherever you wanna go." She held the speaker up to her ear again. "Hello?... I'm sending him up now... okay..." She hung up and glanced at me. "What are you still doing here? Go!" She yelled, prompting me to get up, she was way too intimidating for such a small woman.

I made it to Josh's room just in time to see Kirin cussing out a nurse.

"I already told you, you dumb bitch, you ain't getting near him, we're leaving." Kirin was standing right under the door's threshold, completely blocking the entrance of the room.

"Kirin! It was an accident, calm down!" Josh was trying his best to de-escalate the situation, pulling on Kirin's arm.

"I'm sorry, I really can't let you leave, the doctor has already left and I can't sign your discharge papers." That poor girl looked on the verge of tears.

It was honestly one of the most ridiculous sights I have ever seen in my life. From Josh's frail appearance in the hospital gown still holding onto the tube with the solution attached to him, to Kirin's overprotective demeanor, it all looked straight out of a soap opera. I saw a security guard coming down from the other side of the hallway and from the way his hand was hovering over his gun I could tell things were going to get ugly if I didn't intervene.

"Hey, hey, that's no way to talk to a nurse, man." I placed myself directly in front of the nurse, shielding her from Kirin. "Are you alright, darling?" I said to her softly, and after she nodded I turned back to Kirin. "I want to help you, mate, but first I'm gonna need to apologize to her."