The kids aren't alright

"Nothing, really, you're just my favorite nurse." He smiled, showing me his fangs and opening the door for me.

I forgot to mention, he is weird as fuck. At forty-six years old he still acted like a twenty year old, and it didn't help that he had that classic victorian look like some time traveler trying to adjust to a new decade and failing miserably.

"Right."

We got into treatment five to find a blonde with ruby eyes, for a moment there I thought Lewis had just found the fountain of youth. As if it was possible for him to look any younger.

"Hello, Caleb, I'm Dr. Bianco and this is nurse Miller, can we take a look at your hand?" Bianco cleaned his hands with hand sanitizer and took a pair of sterilized gloves. I did the same.

"Yeah, of course." The kid replied, nervous, fidgeting with the hem of his t-shirt.

"There's no need to be nervous, we're only here to help." I smiled at him in an attempt to calm him down a little.

I don't think it worked.

"Alright, I only see some partial thickness, it looks like a second degree burn." Doctor Bianco said, examining his hand. "Can you tell us how this happened?"

"Does it matter? I was just carless cooking." He was defensive. What the hell was this kid doing to get a second degree burn?

"Okay then, I'm gonna ask you some questions while my dear friend Miller here fixes your hand."

Bianco didn't seem to care that the kid was lying so I just started cleaning the burn.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty five." He gave short answers, not bothering to look any of us in the eyes.

"Do you drink all of your blood regularly?"

"Huh, yes..." He stuttered. I looked at him and if he tried harder to avoid my eyes he would've broken his neck.

"Are you allergic to any medication?"

"No."

"Okay, I'm gonna let Miller here to finish and I'll be right back to write you a prescription for antibiotics." He got up and left the room.

Where the hell was he going? He could write the damn thing right here. Forget it, I can't waste my time trying to understand that nutcase.

"Is, is this going to take long, sir?" He asked fidgeting with his other hand. I winced at the 'sir'. I don't look that old.

"Not really and just so you know not many people appreciate being called 'sir' by someone who's the same age as them."

"Shit, I'm sorry, I just thought-" he struggled to find the right words.

"It's okay, I'm not one of those age sensitive people." I smiled and winked at him. I saw a splash of red hit his face.

"Also you know it's probably not a good idea to lie to your doctor." I started bandaging his hand.

"I didn't lie!" He said, scandalized. I glanced at him and he paused to ponder on his next words. "Okay, I did lie but not because I did something bad."

"Why did you lie then?" I asked, making eye contact once I finished dressing the burn.

"My, my little sister got sick and she's been throwing up everything she eats including the blood and I can't- my parents can't really afford anymore so, I just gave her mine." He sounded ashamed. "I only came here because my hand was killing me."

"The blood deficiency caused your skin to burn under the sun, right?"

"Yes." He said, looking down to avoid my gaze. This poor kid.