Temporary Fix

"Okay, everyone grab the sheets, transfer on three." Dr. Bianco ordered but I didn't move, I froze up. "Miller!" He yelled to get me out of my trance. "Grab the sheets."

I did as he said, he counted to three and we moved Lewis onto the hospital bed.

"Miller, start an IV to give him fluids, do we have any idea of what they ate?" He asked the paramedics before they left.

"They're all vampires so we assume it was the cafeteria diet." The school food again?

"Right..." He turned to me. "Miller, where the hell is that IV?" He had an annoyed look on his face.

I glanced at Lewis and realized I needed to get my shit together. I grabbed a pair of gloves and a needle. I started the IV and hung a bag of saline solution.

He checked Lewis' pulse and vitals.

"He's stable for now, we need to figure out what they ate. Miller, have Maggie page infectious disease, maybe they can find out what they fed these kids."

"Roger." I didn't just stand there this time.

"What's that Lewis?" Maggie whispered once I got to her.

"Yes, doctor Bianco wants you to call infectious disease, they all ate the school vampire diet but we don't know what's on that."

She wanted to ask me something else but I went back to Bianco immediately.

"Is he waking up?"

Dr. Bianco gave me a judging look before answering.

"No but he is responding to stimuli."

"That's a good sign." I muttered, getting close to Lewis.

"It is." He said, narrowing his eyes at me. "Would you care to explain why my best nurse acted like a med student on their first day?" Of course he wanted an explanation, this has never happened before.

Parrish Miller was Henry Ford Hospital crisis expert, everyone knew that I never froze and yet this time I did.

"I know him." I simply said, looking at the soft movements of Lewis's chest.

"Do I have to remove you from this patient's care?" He raised an eyebrow at me. I straightened up and lifted my head.

"No, sir, I'm more than capable of doing my job no matter the circumstances." And I was, these weren't just empty words. I was going to give Lewis the best care possible.

Bianco glared at me for a second but his face softened eventually.

"Fine then, I trust you to make good decisions." He brushed the whole thing off and started giving me orders. "We're still waiting on epidemiology. In the meantime I want you to do blood tests and run an x-ray scan on his belly."

"Yes, sir." I turned around to do what he told me. He grabbed my arm before I even took one step.

"This is a crisis, Miller." He whispered in a stern tone. "And I don't know what your relation with this guy is but you can not falter again. I have three little kids counting on you."

"I understand."

"Good, when you're done here, get to the consultation room." He was done talking and he left. When it was just me and Lewis in the room, I realized I couldn't do this alone. I called back up.

"June, come with me."

June was a trainee nurse, a sweet little vampire with a great personality.

"Okey dokey." She dropped whatever she was writing and followed me.