Ch 8: Rivendell

Zaliya's POV

Pain, pain was all I felt; up and down my body. A black fog tinted the edge of my vision as I looked up at the wise elf trying to keep the horse ride from hurting me. He smiled down at me and whispered soft soothing words in my ear, still trying to ease the pain away. I gently pet the horse as my vision finally went black. 

Third Person POV

Meanwhile, the company had found a hidden pathway in the cave they were hiding in. 

Dwalin shouted back to the dwarves, "I cannot see where the pathway leads! Do we follow it or no?"

"Follow it, of course!" Bofur said charging past Dwalin and heading down the pathway. 

Gandalf smirked, "I think that would be wise." The company began to follow the pathway; but it is quite narrow, a cut in two tall cliffs. At times, the larger dwarves had trouble getting through. The pathway eventually opened out into a large valley, and in the valley sat a beautiful town. A broad smile spreads across Gandalf's face, "The Valley of Imraldis. In the Common Tongue, it's known by another name."

Bilbo gazes at the valley in wonder and takes a small step forward, "Rivendell."

Gandalf winks at Bilbo and continues, "Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea."

Thorin turns on him and snarles, "This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy!"

Gandalf frowns at Thorin irritated by his closed mind, "You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself."

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us," Thorin scowled throwing his hands up in the air.

Gandalf smiled and turns to the valley a twinkle in his eyes, "Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be sucessful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me."

The Company walks across a narrow bridge over a flowing river and enters Rivendell. A few elves are seen strolling around. Bilbo gazes around with wonder at the the beauty of the place; while the dwarves look uneasy and grip their weapons tightly. 

A dark-haired elf walks down a flight of stairs and greets Gandalf, "Mithrandir."

Gandalf bows his head, "Lindir." 

As Lindir and Gandalf talk, Thorin whispers to the dwarves, "Stay sharp!"

"We heard you had crossed into the valley," Lindir says politely.

Gandalf interrupts, "I must speak with Lord Elrond."

Lindir blinks surprised, "My Lord Elrond is not here."

Just as surprised Gandalf asks, "Not here? Where is he?" Suddenly, the Elvish horns from earlier is heard again. The Company turns around and they see a group of armed horsemen approaching the bridge at a rapid rate.  

Thorin whips out his sword and orders, "Ready weapons! Hold ranks! The dwarves bunch up together into a tight circle around Bilbo, their weapons pointed out threateningly. The mounted Elves thunder in circles around the dwarves, their faces hidden by helmets. Eventually they stop, and one elf separates himself from the others. As he dismounts his horse, he pulls a limp body with black curly hair from the horse. Thorin and the rest of the company gasp in horror at how broken Zaliya's body is. A handful of elves appear and they whisk Zaliya away, murmuring things under their breath. 

Zaliya's Unexpected Journeyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें