16 | cafe

"I TAPPED MY FINGERS on the smooth wood of the table, leaning back in my seat. How did I get here? In this cafe, with the sounds of people talking. The soft chime of the wind chime, indicating someone new was coming into the cafe. The sound of a worker, calling someone's order. The soothing comfort of, well, nothing really. It just calmed me down. A quiet song played in the background, and my mind focused on the song, tuning out everything else.

The last time I had texted anyone was a few days ago, and since then I hadn't really had any interaction with other people. I just mindlessly woke up, ate, thought, slept, the usual things. Nothing special. I didn't know why I was feeling this way, I just guess I was.

I thought my thoughts had spiralled a bit, so I came to this cafe. I used to come a lot, then U.A. started and the dorms happened and I didn't get a lot of chances to come to this place. I felt like I needed a break, from life. Which unfortunately wasn't possible, but coming here was probably the closest I could get.

I left my phone on silent as usual, so I hoped Aizawa or anyone else hadn't texted me. Also because I left my phone at home by accident. I did leave a small note saying where I was, though. Hopefully that was enough. As I kept thinking, I swore I heard footsteps getting closer to me. My eyes focused on a faintly familiar person, heading my way.

"Oh, it's nice to see you here, Bakugo." His voice put me at ease, surprisingly. It was the purple haired boy, Shinsou. "Do you mind if I sit here? There's no completely empty tables and I'd like to sit with y— someone I know." asked Shinsou, a loose strand of his hair falling over his forehead.

I found myself agreeing, my fingers slowly starting to stay still. "Yeah, sure," my eyes followed him as he pulled the chair from across me back and sat down. "Call me Y/n, by the way. Bakugo sounds weird to me." I felt restless and nervous whenever he was around, which was strange. He hummed in response. Silence spread across our table.

Shinsou cleared his throat, opening his mouth hesitantly. I could tell he was uncomfortable, and I understood. We never spoke that often. I guess the only main interactions we had were the rooftop, and the spar with Aizawa. "Uh.. Why are you here instead of at dorms at campus?" His tone was hesitant, and I assumed he already knew and was just trying to make conversation.

"You probably saw the news about Overhaul, stuff like that. I ran off early, and the heroes assumed I was off fighting some villains that were in the same building—" A embarrassed sigh escaped my lips before I could hold it back. "But in reality, I had found Overhaul and Eri and I fought with them. They had a permanent quirk erasing bullet, and I got shot by it. So now I'm on break from campus, and temporarily quirkless. And the temporary could last long, always depending on Eri."

It had took me a long time of thinking to realize the gravity of the situation that had happened to me. I hadn't even understood it that much to be devastated or anything, but saying it aloud brought another wave of realization, washing over me.

How long would it take Eri to train? To rewind me. Would she even be able to? My body stiffened, and I realized this was why I had avoided social interaction the last few days. I lost myself too easily, giving into other subjects, especially now. So what if Eri couldn't rewind me back my quirk? I'd find some other way.

I leaned back in my chair, hearing the distant creak. I started to tune out everything again. Why did I come out here? Why did I let Shinsou sit there? Why was I doing this now? I might as well be drowning in thoughts and worries and questions and the questions might as well have no answers and I didn't know anymore.

"Y/n. Calm down." A calm voice spoke, and I stiffened before relaxing, my mind slowing down. Feeling calm. Exactly like what the voice— his voice told me. "Dang, thought I lost you there." Shinsou muttered, and I looked up. "Sorry. I haven't talked to anyone much the past few days." Giving a laugh, playing it off as nothing.

"I hope you didn't mind me using my quirk— brainwashing on you. You weren't listening and I didn't want to be loud, since there's other people." says Shinsou, raising his arm to bring a hand through his hair. His body language stayed tense and awkward, despite his bored tone.

I shook my head. "Nah, it's whatever. I lose myself a lot anyways." I responded, dismissing it quite easily. As long as he didn't actually make me do anything, and I assumed he wouldn't. I could still tell that we were awkward, sitting across from each other with nothing really to say.

"Oh hey— Y/n!" A person who seemed to be working at the cafe came to our table, a wild smile on their face. "I didn't expect you to be here. I thought you were done being a regular here?" They chuckled, and an unconscious smile made its way onto my face. "C'mon Kei, I don't give up that easily. You know I've been busy."

I recognized him now, his bubbly personality. He looked at lot like other people I had seen, but his persona was pretty interesting. To me, at least. Kei Takaoka, one of the workers here for a long time. He's what, nineteen years old? I didn't really remember.

"Well, it's great seeing you here. Anything you want, or you just here to talk with your friend?" Kei nodded at Shinsou, who seemed to just be watching us interact with bored interest. "Not really. Shinsou, do you want anything?" Shinsou blinked, startled by my question. He shook his head.

"No, thank you." replied the boy.

Kei stuffed his hands in his pockets, his smile still wide. "Mkay. See you around, Y/n." He said to me before walking off to other tables. I waved after him, before fully facing Shinsou again.

Our eyes locked for a while, and he was the first to avert his gaze. "So— what did you come here for originally?" Shinsou asked, his gaze coming back to me. I shrugged, suddenly feeling the heat from the air. "I can't really remember. I just wanted to go outside before staying home for weeks again."

Another slip. Was Aizawa's apartment really home for me now? Where was home for me, anyways?

Shinsou hummed in response, leaning even more back into his chair. I eyed him warily. "I think you're gonna fall in you keep leaning back," a giggle escaped my lips. "It's a safety hazard, Shinsou." I added sarcastically. The boy rolled his eyes, a tired sigh coming out his mouth in response.

We might be awkward now, but who knew about later? I think I liked Shinsou, the way he calmed me down and wasn't as nervous or energetic as my other friends. I think he'd make a great friend.

We stayed in the cafe until it almost closed, talking about our thoughts. Going over each of our opinions over it, and during all that, watching people walk in and out of the cafe. The same wind chime ringing through our ears. The same footsteps, uneven. All while starting a slow friendship.

word count: 1283 words
let's go i finally got this shinsou x reader thing started 🙂🙏 honestly i'm out my shinsou phase now but i'll keep writing for you guys!