Vol.18 Ch.45: Intellectual Blows

Começar do início

"Yes. But, I'm sure that for every time you guessed right, there were at least ten other times where you guessed wrong and wasted your teammates' time on defending against phantom attacks."

"My, what a bold accusation." Cato shook his head. "I'll have you know I only make efficient calls."

"Oh, then I suppose the first game dragged on for so long because of your incomplete, then?"

"Agh, weeeell..." Cato grimaced for a moment. His smirk temporarily vanished, which was a win in Yuel's book. That move successfully struck a nerve.

But as usual, the slippery fellow was quick to bounce back. "It was a display of mercy. I just felt bad for your team in that game, you know? You performed so poorly there that I felt obligated to give you a few more chances. Am I not just the nicest guy around~?"

"How considerate of you." Yuel made a face. "So, the two games you lost to us were also a display of mercy?"

"Yes, of course," Cato claimed. "I mean, did you honestly think the Leopards would fold to weak plays like yours? And lose to a meme, no less? No way."

"You can claim whatever you want to protect your ego, but we won these games fair and square. And as for the last game, we did lose there but not to you."

"Excuse me?"

"We didn't lose that game to your shot-calling, and not even to your team really. We lost almost exclusively to that Korean player you subbed in."

"Hm?" Cato tilted his head. "Pray tell, how did you know he's Korean?"

"Ugh!" Yuel bit his tongue. That was a blunder. "Um, I was curious about this unexpected sub so I asked the referee for more details."

"Oh? And what did you ask him, exactly?"

"Why do I have to answer that? That's my business."

"Hmmmmmm. I see." Cato narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "I had a feeling it was a little odd. Even though our dear Appretnece was clearly dominating the game, you fellows didn't seem to lose spirit as you should've. It's almost as if you were mentally prepared for something like this."

"We're just made different.".

"Either that or somebody let the cat out of the bag." Cato smiled meaningfully. "And, I have a pretty good idea of who it was. After all, you ARE a former StormBlitz player~"

"What are you implying?"

"That one of your former teammates is a snitch~" Cato declared boldly. "I have to say, I'm surprised you're still on such good terms."

"Good terms? Please." Yuel shook his head. "They're the number one enemy I've sworn to defeat this year."

"My, quite passionate, aren't you?" Cato nodded. "Well, we can leave it at that. The fact you weren't confused when I bought up StormBlitz's name already tells me everything~"

"You're free to believe whatever you want." Yuel shrugged. Drat, I couldn't fool him on this one. Oh well.

"Anyway," Yuel continued. "We lost the final game to Apprentece, not to you. So as far as I'm concerned, in terms of our shot-calling matchup we're still at a 2-2 at best."

"My, such a sore loser, aren't you~?" Cato smiled impishly as always but there was a slight frown on his brow. It was clear this declaration struck a nerve. Cato probably didn't feel satisfied with that last victory either.

"I agree that the result of this final game was a bit muddled," Cato admitted. "But just so we're clear, I would've beat you in the last game even without subbing Apprentece in."