Dinner is Served

Have you ever met someone and thought, "If you knock on the top of your head and opened your mouth, would there be an echo?" That was the first thought that came to my mind when I met Dylan Harrison, Danny's swim team co-captain. What's worse is how nothing really changed in that department since the beginning of junior high when we met him.

In the time that it took for me to lose sight of Danny, he had wandered off and been spotted by Dylan and his situation-ship, Amy — I think that was her name. I didn't know the whole story behind the two of them, nor did I much care. I zoned out whenever he would tag along with Danny, and thankfully, I never had to hear his thoughts — if he had any.

"Hey, girls," Danny smiled. "Anyone up for volleyball? Dylan found a net a little ways down."

"I'll pass, thanks." Allie put her sunglasses down and laid back in her chair. "Someone has to watch Autumn and the food."

"Ooh, what's for lunch?" Dylan weaseled his way under the shade. "Dang, these sandwiches smell good. Think we could get a couple?"

I hated having people in my bubble, and I really hated powerful smells like the half-can of spray on deodorant that he was wearing. Like a knee jerk reaction, I launched myself up and out of the shade, crashing into Danny. Bailey found the whole thing hilarious.

"Something to add?" I snapped.

"Huh?"

"Huh?" I mocked, losing more of my temper by the moment. "Did I stutter?"

"I-uh," Cindy looked at Dylan nervously. "I'm sorry."

"Easy, tiger," Danny chuckled. "Hey, Dylan, stop being a mooch and come on. They don't wanna play."

It was only as those first words came out of Danny's mouth that I realized that he hadn't let me go. I felt the warmth of his arm pull away from my back as he stepped back to pull the freeloader out from under the umbrella. As he walked away with the two of them, the stench of the canned body spray was replaced with a subtle waft of coconut oil and passion fruit gum.

"I'll join," I sighed.

Before I could fully look up, Danny was just outside my bubble with the biggest smile on his face.

"Beach doubles it is then!"

Dork.

As we walked towards the net, the background noise of the beach died down. What replaced it was the low buzzing that came before every overflow. I felt my steps stagger and my body sway as I tried to brace for what was coming.

No. No. No. No! Please... not again!

I scrunched my eyes preparing for the onslaught. The buzzing became a low whisper, like something you and your friends would share between each other in the library. Voices blended together, and I could only make out a few words.

...her problem?

...sandwiches were so...

...hey...a—

"—re you okay?"

The buzzing and whispers stopped instantly. My eyes flew open to see Danny looking deep into them. I still felt my power winding up, but with him in front of me, all I could think of was what was on his mind.

Is she okay? I hope she's okay: she goes through hell every time this happens... Man, she's cute. Can she hear my thoughts? Yeah, probably, that look in her eyes says she can, at least. I gotta make sure she's okay...