Chapter 19: Closer

"Close your eyes, hold your breath, overlap our two shadows,
Shine, shine, shine, farewell, my tears."

- Sayounara Memory, 7!!

The same feeling of dread filled her as she pulled through the rubble and dirt, hoping for a sign of life. She couldn't breathe because of the suffocating presence of death that surrounded her. She blinked, and found herself in a familiar clearing, kneeling next to a figure she had engraved into her heart a million times. The Uchiha laid unmoving, appearing angelic, it was a rare occurrence for Sakura to see him let go of his broken outer shell to reveal his inner soul that was fierce and loving. Uchiha's Curse of Eternal Hatred also meant they held love above all else. She reached out to smooth out his brows, her hands lingering on his long, dark eye lashes. Only in death, that Sasuke could appear this unguarded, and in peace, undisturbed like a newborn child. Sakura suddenly felt hot tears gather in her eyes, blinding her before rolling down her face, dripping onto the boy's face. She buried her face into the base of his neck, cradling his body as she held on desperately to her last safekeep, the boy whom her heart resided with.

She felt a grip on her forearm, it was a bloodied hand, from the body she held. A chill went up her spine as she stiffly lifted her head up and was met with the sight of 3 spinning tomoes on his pale skin. She blinked once again, clearing her teary eyes to meet the crimson red of the Sharingan. Her surrounding changed again, they were now in a dark forest. The 'Sasuke' stared at her mourning face, seemingly in thought, before murmuring, "Sakura...Why?" His hand shakily touched the side of her face before drooping down onto the ground, Sakura only then registered the poisoned kunai that was imbedded in his side, and his blood that splattered on her own hand. It was warm, and moist, her vision shook and her pupils dilated, she tried to summon chakra for healing but it was to no avail. "Sasuke, wake up. Sasuke?" even the violent shake of his shoulder did not wake the boy up, and Sakura could only stare at the slowly growing pool of blood. A searing pain was now in her own abdomen, she glanced down slowly and noticed the gaping hole that sat right in the middle of the torso, bearing the signature scorch marks of the Chidori.

Sakura sat up abruptly as she panted heavily. Her pink head spun frantically around her surroundings. Her hand was held over her pounding chest. There were streams of tears that ran down her terrified expression.

It was the past, but what was that in the end? That never happened, it will not happen.

Her mouth felt dry as she walked dizzily towards the pile of necessities to have some water. Naruto slept soundly in his sleeping bag, his leg draping over Sasuke's... empty one. She ran her hand through her pink stresses as she gulped down a mouthful of water.

They have begun the second stage of the Chuunin exams, now has been their second night spent in the Forest of Death. The forest held the same eerie atmosphere as always, however Sakura felt less intimidated by the forest, after knowing all the dangers it held beforehand. Afterall, the unknown was the scariest. With that said, it did not change the fear of the appearance of Orochimaru, Sakura felt like as if she was held at a guillotine, with the blade gleaming right over her neck, ready to severe her head at any moment. Both boys have noticed her less cheery demeanour and were ready to support in their own ways.

"Sakura, it's not your turn to keep watch yet, go back to sleep." Her train of thoughts were interrupted by the sound of Sasuke's voice. She flinched, nearly dropping her water as she coughed violently. A pair of warm hands patted her back gently. After recovering from her slight shock due to the youthful face of the 13-year-old Uchiha Sasuke, Sakura recovered what was left of her dignity. She took in the appearance of the boy before her, his complexion was always pale and unblemished, but with the few scars and scratches along with the dark circles under his eyes, Sasuke looked exhausted and basically horrible.