Chapter 17: Machination

"We're leaving behind those days of cuddling in the gentle sun, and walking on to our lonely dreams."

- YELL, Ikimonogakari

***
Kakashi observed as his cute little student hurried towards their meeting spot. Her hands clutched several papers and folders that seemed to be spilling as she rushed over. Her ninja sandals made small clicky sounds on the dirt path. Kakashi noticed the strands that spiked up on top of her head, the pink stresses stuck to her forehead and the sides of her face, her hitai-ate sat wobbly as a headband. It was noon, and the two have organised a meeting about next stages in their plan to potentially alter the world.

"Mah, Sakura-chan. You look like you haven't had any sleep last night." Kakashi's eye crinkled, as he gave a teasing smile to the kunoichi. Sakura returned with a glare, she dropped the files on the ground with a huff and began smoothing her bed hair out. Kakashi hummed as he leaned nonchalantly on the wall, it was a corner of the village that he ensured no one would be able to eavesdrop on their conversation. A comfortable silence lingered in the air as Kakashi peeked at the pile of paper that now sat on the ground next to his feet. It was covered with chunks of scribbles, a bunch of circling as well as smudges that bloomed across every page.

"I stayed up for this," Sakura picked up the first couple of pages of the papers, "I was planning what we should do next in preparation for the upcoming events in, uh, the Chunnin Exams." She passed the page to the jounin, who scanned it carefully.

"The second phase, is where Orochimaru will target Sasuke?" He uttered. The snake sannin was a dangerous man, not only for his traitorous identity outside Konoha, but also his obsession of experimentation that completely disregards basic human morals. That ultimately landed him the exile out of Konoha anyways. Kakashi has seen the repercussions of Orochimaru's experimentation, one of them being his colleague.

"Yes, if it's still held at the Forest of Death?" Sakura continued, "He will try to give Sasuke the curse mark, he's after his body with the kekkei genkai." Kakashi quietened, his eyes attached to the girl who now had a look of complete regret and grief.

"...And what happened last time?" Hesitantly, Kakashi questioned. Sakura gave a sharp inhale.

"He succeeded, I wasn't able to do anything." Her shoulders trembled slightly, guilt filled in her insides, "The effect of the curse mark was really severe, but it equally gave Sasuke... the power he wanted to take revenge." She seethed, "the power that none of Konoha could offer him, so he left us, he left Team 7."

The silver-haired ninja gave her a pat on the back with a soft expression, "But you are here now, and you can change that, and I can see that there are already differences in his demeanour that assume were not the same in your old timeline," he continued, "you may have not noticed, but Naruto and I have."

"What do you mean?" Sakura asked quizzically, her mind can't wrap around the notion Kakashi just prompted. Kakashi only responded with a knowing smile as he adjusted his mask higher. The young girl looked adorably confused with her nose scrunched up together, before shaking her head.

"Remind me to question you about that later." Sakura gave a small huff of resignation. Kakashi chuckled.

"Anyways, sensei. Do you think we can request extra surveillance in the exams? Or remove Otogakure from the exams straightaway?"

Sakura sighed, both requests seemed outright absurd and it was unlikely that they will be granted. But it would be necessary to conduct a careful investigation in the participants of the exams anyways, and it was a miracle that Orochimaru and the Sound got past and invaded in the first place. However, if there was a possibility, a miniscule chance that Orochimaru's schemes come to light, Sasuke's defection could be prevented. If not, she will have to handle Orochimaru herself, while not revealing her circumstances to the snake sannin, whom she begrudgingly admits, is crazy but without a doubt, a genius.

"I know what purposes it is for, however we need a convincing reason to allocate extra shinobi around." Kakashi responded. Right now, Konoha is short on squads, and already many ninjas would be responsible to supervise the exams as participants from outside Konoha are present.

"How about protecting the Kazekage, and his son Gaara as he will be in the exams too?" Sakura suggested. Kakashi lifted his lone, visible eyebrow.

"I sense that those two played a specific part in this whole ordeal, haven't they?"

Sakura winced, Kakashi was too inquisitive for his own good.

"Yeah, Gaara is the jinchuuriki of the One-Tail, Shukaku, and his father the Kazekage is going to be murdered by Orochimaru in order to spectate the third phase of the exams, but also intensify the conflict between Suna and Konoha."

"...That's unexpected, but also expected." Kakashi said solemnly.

"Gaara is important to me and Naruto, he is a great person and friend to us. Even though right now he might not seem like it but I can assure you, he will change, because of Naruto." She gave a gentle smile at the memory of her friendship with the redhead, thanks to the Number 1 Knuckle-head Ninja. Both Naruto and her shared a close relationship with Suna after their re-alliance, and through her bond with Gaara, she was able to meet many amazing people: Temari, Kankuro, Lady Chiyo. She dimmed at the thought of the elder woman.

"I saw the boy, he has an intense bloodlust that can't be contained," Kakashi closed his eyes, "He probably didn't leave much of a friendly impression on Naruto."

"...Naruto will change him. I believe in him and Gaara." Sakura said determinedly, Kakashi gave her a warm smile.

"I'm sure he will, he has that natural effect on people."

Just like his father.

"I will let the Hokage know without revealing too much information, however I cannot guarantee that Oto will be removed from the exams, and Orochimaru won't be in the second phase. However, now that I know, Konoha will prepare in advance to counter his plans."

Sakura sighed dejectedly, she was hoping a high-ranked ninja like Kakashi himself could patrol the site of the second phase to ensure Orochimaru will not get his hands on the innocent. But that was just too much to ask.

"Since I'm unable to be present in the second phase, I will be relying on you to stop Orochimaru, if he appears. And I'm very confident that you can do that." He smiled encouragingly, Sakura was clearly of jounin level in her previous life, however just with a couple of her abilities repressed due to the time travel. Her Byakugou seal now concealed by a small but intricate genjutsu, leaving her forehead bare.