38. A Taste of Control

A/N: Please forgive me. I think Adam may drive some of you crazy in this chapter and the next. Maybe some of you will enjoy it. Adam has a mind of his own now, so he is out of my control. Remember he's just a baby boy, trying to find a sense of control in this messed up, complicated life of his.

~*~

"Sit," Dominic commanded as we finally entered the house. "We need to talk."

Dread instantly gripped my heart, and I reluctantly settled onto the living room couch, arms tightly crossed over my chest. I was still grouchy from my night with Ryan. He had forced me to go to a party and then ditched me to fuck Rosie. And then I acted like an idiot, getting all mad for nothing. It was embarrassing to remember my reaction.

Dominic took a seat in the wingback chair across from me, the very same one where Betty Grey had sat on my lap, where Dominic had been a horrible tease. I glanced down at his lap, his legs spread with an air of dominance, and then met his intense gaze.

"Well?" I asked, my impatience evident. I just wanted to get this over with.

"How was the party?" he casually inquired, failing to hide his curiosity. He was likely wondering what had prompted my early return, or maybe he worried that someone other than him had caught my attention.

My eyes drifted to his neck, where the hickey I had left a month ago had healed. My own mark had faded as well, and I couldn't help but wonder if Dominic wished he could brand me again. The mere thought had me longing to make him suffer. That mark I gave him was meant to bring him to his knees, to make him beg for Lily's forgiveness. It should have brought an end to their sham of a marriage, but Lily didn't seem to mind it. I had been highly suspicious of the two ever since, distrusting of even Lily. It left me feeling as if I were going crazy. Dominic on the other hand seemed content to act as if our affair had never occurred. I couldn't understand how he could forget so easily when he had been the one desperately trying to claim me.

He caught my gaze on his throat then, a smirk playing on his lips as if he could read my thoughts. I swiftly looked away, my fingers fumbling nervously with my phone.

"The party was fine," I said finally. He knew it was a lie.

"Did you drink?" He asked, a hint of concern laced with an edge of authority.

"Are you my dad now?" I scoffed, the absurdity of the question pushing a laugh out of me despite the tension. His expression darkened with anger, probably feeling that he was indeed my father now. But then he shrugged, disinterested.

"You are seventeen. Rot your brain if you must," he said, his casual dismissal stinging more than I expected.

The hypocrisy infuriated me. Dominic had no problem giving me alcohol, but now he was acting all high and mighty about me drinking at a party. It was ridiculous.

"Did you...meet anybody?" he asked, his voice strained as if he was trying to keep his composure.

I shot him a cold stare. "No," I replied curtly, watching as relief washed over his face. "Just hung with Ryan and Rosie."

But his silence was unnerving. He studied my expression, his eyes searching for something. It made me squirm in my seat, uncomfortable under his gaze. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, he spoke.

"I think you should stop bringing Ryan over," he said, his tone firm. "You see him enough at work and school. I can only tolerate so much of the kid."

My annoyance flared into anger. Was Dominic jealous? Did he still care about me? The thought sent a mix of emotions coursing through me. His face remained emotionless, no anger, no jealousy. It was unsettling. If he truly didn't care about me anymore, he'd have no problem with Ryan. And it pissed me off that he thought he could isolate me from my friends, all while he continued to love Lily, leaving me with nobody.