32. Crimson Warning

A/N: Hi guys. Adam still has a lot of suffering to do and mistakes to make before the end of this book. Please bear with his bad choices as things continue. This is a coming of age story so Adam has a lot of growing to do. And unfortunately he will do things that might drive you crazy.

Also, this is a really long chapter, the longest yet. So settle in and get comfy, prepare for chaos.

~*~

I had a restless night of tossing and turning. It had left me ragged, each tick of the clock had echoed the thunderous beat of my heart throughout the night. I hadn't even managed to eat dinner the night before because of the dread I was feeling knowing that Dominic was going to somehow take retribution for the kiss he had witnessed. He had stared at me with a terrifying intensity all throughout dinner while Lily rambled on about how I could approach Ryans feelings for me.

"Your door was locked last night," Dominic stated, his voice cutting through the car's silence like a knife, pulling me out of my thoughts. His words sent a shiver down my spine. Had he tried to enter? I couldn't remember hearing the doorknob, and I was on high alert through the whole night, part of me expecting his attempted intrusion.

I mustered a feeble nod, though, my voice barely a whisper. "It usually is."

The rhythmic tapping of Dominic's finger on the steering wheel felt like a countdown to my doom, each tap amplifying the racing of my heart.

The drive was a silent torment, my mind a whirlwind of panic, wondering when Dom would strike. But as we continued on with no incident, I was surprised he had nothing more to say. I was beginning to allow myself to relax as we got closer to my work. Maybe Dominic wasn't going to do anything about the kiss he witnessed last night. Maybe he was feeling some fear at being caught by Ryan, anxious at the potential of someone other than me exposing our affair. While he knew I'd never tell Lily what we did, he couldn't be sure that Ryan wouldn't.

But my growing relief was short-lived. He suddenly veered off-course, taking the wrong exit which eventually led to a gravel path that promised only seclusion and uncertainty. I sat up attentively, wondering where we were going but he just chuckled at my reaction. The outside world soon faded away and it was just me and Dom, the tension growing the longer he drove.

"Detour," he said simply, the word dripping with an ominous chill. The car came to a halt, and as he turned to face me, I knew that my day of reckoning had arrived. I was definitely going to be late to work.

"I'm not happy with what I saw yesterday," he stated, waiting for me to respond. When I didn't, he continued, "You were silent during dinner, you didn't want to come swimming, and you locked your door... Are you avoiding me?"

My heart pounded in my chest as I stared at him, his words hanging heavy in the air. It was painfully obvious that I had been avoiding him, but admitting it would only invite the chaos of his anger. He had a strange vulnerability and uncertainty that made him feel dangerous and unpredictable as he waited for my answer. I shook my head quickly, denying the truth. There was no telling how he'd react if he really thought I was avoiding him.

"I'm not," I lied, hoping to diffuse the tension. But his narrowed eyes told me he saw right through my facade.

"You know you're mine, right? Because it didn't look like that last night," he said, his voice laced with disappointment as I stared at him wordlessly.

I remained silent as he waited for my declaration of devotion, but it didn't come. At my continued silence, his hopeful expression shifted to anger, and in that moment, I knew I should have at least lied.

Without warning, Dominic unbuckled himself and stormed out of the car, the slam of the door jolting me. Was he so mad that he had to step out to clear his head? I watched in confusion as he circled the car, his footsteps purposeful. Panic gripped me as he reached my door and swung it open. He leaned over me, his hands reaching for my seatbelt. I yelled in protest, pushing against him with all my strength, desperate as he tried to unravel me from the seatbelt.