Chapter 5 - Dubiety

Start from the beginning

"I'm happy to hear that. Really." She smiles. "It's.. It's important to me not to keep any secrets from you."

Only then did a sense of warmth flood over me. Not much, but enough to make me smile and squeeze her hand.

"I'll.. do my best to do the same," I whisper.

After a short staring contest, she chuckles and slips her hand off mine.

"Perhaps saying those things would be better reserved for tomorrow."

"You're right." I look away, still keeping my smile. "Goodnight, Rafa. Thank you for trusting me on that."

She nods as she goes inside the room. Before closing it, she peeks and smiles. "Goodnight, Asael."

I'm sure she has secrets she still can't tell me. In the future, she may reveal them one by one. We all have secrets we can't just tell anyone, and her trying to be honest about herself makes me hopeful.

For the first time ever, I thought marrying Rafa wouldn't be so bad. We may be able to form something between us if time allows it. Maybe.

Now if I can just be more honest with her as married couples should be. But maybe it isn't too bad to take it easy. After all, I don't think I can tell anyone about Lucifer, for one. At all. It's all complicated. Too complicated.

I don't even know who to trust here. There's only Docker and our crew at work, but they clearly have no solid ties to the events happening behind this wedding, and I won't unnecessarily involve them. Then there's Rafa, who may not even know this is all possibly just a farce for something both of us don't know anything about.

The thought of involving an innocent person makes my stomach curl. I don't mind if it's just me since it won't be the first time my family used me for something they deemed as necessary for the family, like pushing me into this career or involving me in business-related affairs due to my earned—albeit forced onto me—credentials.

But Rafa?

With a headshake, I turn my back and make my way up the fourth floor, silently stepping on the stairs with more questions in my mind. Everything points to my parents and even Remi. I grimace at the amount of dubiety in my view of them.

I shouldn't feel this way. They're family. Family isn't supposed to doubt one another.

Or maybe it's this exact mindset that's making them use me. Because all I want is to avoid conflict and keep the peace between everyone. And maybe that's all the more reason to finally start breaking this pattern and acknowledge my doubts.

"Boo!"

I jump and turn behind me. Two steps on the staircases below me stand my sneaky little sister with a bright, almost teasing smile on her face.

"Jeez, Remi."

"I was sure you'd notice me like you always do." She steps beside me. "Something on your mind? Rafa, maybe?"

I roll my eyes and continue up the stairs. "Quit it." I walk on more and turn to her. "Why are you here, anyway? Your room is on the second floor."

"Of course you forgot," she whispered, taking quick steps ahead of me to my room. "The folder. You still haven't given it back."

Oh yeah.

"I'm taking it back before we both forget. This isn't about to become the umpteenth coming of my stationery."

"I returned them, though."

She stops walking and faces me with a playful glare. "Only whenever I barge into your room after the day you're supposed to return them. Like now!"