Chapter 2: Blast from the Past

"You lost your job?" Chase's voice mixed shock with a hint of disbelief as they finally escaped the clutches of the highway's worst traffic snarl

Chloe let out a sigh, deeper and wearier than she intended. "That's the reality of corporate life, especially when acquisitions come into play. The new execs didn't waste time deciding who stays and who goes." Following her yoga instructor's advice, she inhaled deeply and then exhaled, drawing the strength to cleanse the day's negativity with each breath.

Chase glanced her way, warmth emanating from his eyes, a steady presence in the turbulence of her day. "You survived today. That's what counts. You're resilient. You'll land on your feet in no time," he soothed, his tone a blend of reassurance and optimism.

Chloe managed a chuckle, though it sounded more like a scoff. "Optimistic, aren't we? The job market's a desert, except in real estate, IT, and energy. And guess who reigns supreme in all three? Scott-Quinn Enterprises. Dominated by none other than Damian Scott himself." Her attempt at humor couldn't mask the bitterness in her voice.

"Yeah, let's keep this car a jerk-free zone," Chase quipped, briefly lightening the mood.

"You don't really know him. Only that your uncle and his dad are golf buddies."

"We've crossed paths at social events, sure," Chase admitted with a shrug.

"I ran into him today before you picked me up. After years of successfully avoiding him. After everything he did back in college. It's a shame I didn't meet you then. You could've stopped me from falling for a dud."

"You should've found me sooner." Chase's grin was gentle, his elbow finding hers in a playful nudge.

"I should've." She recalled their first meeting at a friend's party two years ago. Chase was in a relationship, but that dissolved quickly. Chloe immediately connected with him, bonding over shared passions from hiking to hanging out at indie concerts. Being in the same social circle helped strengthen their friendship. This realization warmed her heart, drawing a smile across her face.

"See? You're smiling now. You're a survivor, Chloe. Jerks, bad bosses—you've outlasted them all. Who knows? Maybe there's even a new romance on the horizon for you."

Despite the shitty day she'd had, the laugh that bubbled up from Chloe was genuine. In a world turned upside down, his steadfast friendship was a constant she deeply valued. The city lights blurred past as they drove, stirring a wave of nostalgia within her. Lester Harbor was a place where her dreams once felt within reach ever since she moved there for college over a decade ago.

Now, facing the uncertainty of unemployment, doubt crept in, whispering questions about her past choices. The car halted at a red light, and Chloe's gaze drifted outside, only to be captured by the sight of a new billboard. Scott-Quinn Enterprises was hiring. Her heart skipped, tempted to leap at this unexpected opportunity, yet she hesitated, her hand pausing above her phone.

Damian Scott. His name hadn't crossed her mind in the past few years, yet he was suddenly everywhere today. Was it coincidence, or was fate weaving its threads around her?

Noticing the change in her, Chase's concern was immediate. "Hey, what's wrong? You don't look so good."

Chloe forced her gaze away from the haunting billboard, attempting to mask the turmoil inside. "I'm just tired, that's all. Let's head home."

***   

As Chase pulled his Chevrolet sports car to a gentle stop outside Chloe's apartment building, the soft hum of the engine filled the brief silence between them.

With its red brick facade and tall, arched windows, Chloe's apartment building radiated a blend of historical charm and cozy urban living. Ivy climbed one side, adding a touch of green to the sturdy structure, while wrought-iron gates led to a welcoming lobby. It was a quaint, enduring piece of the city where she found her sanctuary.

Chloe glanced at Chase, noticing how the streetlights highlighted his face's contours, casting shadows that played upon his strong jawline and the soft curl of his hair. His tanned and toned arm was close enough that she could see the intricate pattern of the green bracelet he wore—a vibrant reminder of his time at the Guatemalan orphanage.

"You know, I've always loved that bracelet," she said, lightly touching the woven threads. "It suits you."

Chase turned his warm, brown eyes toward her, a spark of something unspoken flickering between them. "Yeah?" he asked, a half-smile forming on his lips. "It reminds me of a simpler time. A time of giving."

The air around them seemed to charge with an electric current, the moment suspended in time. Chase leaned in closer, his gaze locked with hers, and for a heartbeat, Chloe thought she might drown in the depth of his eyes. His breath was soft against her cheek, his lips inches from hers, promising a kiss filled with years of unspoken feelings and could-have-beens.

But as the space between them diminished, a tumult of feelings clashed within Chloe. The sudden image of Damian—sharp, vivid, and unwelcome—flashed through her mind, jolting her back to reality. With a gentle, regretful motion, she placed her hand on Chase's chest, stopping him.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice a mix of longing and sorrow. "I can't."

Chase's eyes searched hers, emotions passing through them before he nodded, pulling back respectfully. "No need to apologize. I shouldn't have presumed," he said, his voice low.

"No, it's not you. It's me. I'm just...not ready," Chloe replied, her heart aching with confusion. Chase's understanding nod, accompanied by his smile revealing those endearing dimples, made her heart twinge.

Chase's voice held a note of reluctance as he cleared his throat. "I've gotta head out. Early flight tomorrow."

Chloe's curiosity piqued. "Which cities are on your itinerary this time?"

"London, Copenhagen, Munich," Chase replied, his gaze fixed on the winding road ahead. A subtle tension marked his expression, his jaw tightening as he gripped the steering wheel a bit firmer.

Sensing his distraction, Chloe ventured cautiously, "How about we catch up next weekend?"

"We'll see," Chase replied, his tone noncommittal. His role as a commercial pilot often cast a veil of uncertainty over his schedule. Yet, in his evasion, there was an unspoken awkwardness about the missed opportunity for that kiss.

Chloe's heart sank. He was everything someone could ask for—kind, attractive, caring—but a ghost from her past ensnared her heart.

Damian.

A part of him remained with her, an indelible mark on her soul. Once, she carried his child, a brief spark of life that flickered out in the tenth week. She never had the chance to tell him.

As she exited the car, the cool late afternoon air felt like a balm, calming her emotions. She watched Chase drive away, the taillights of his Chevrolet fading into the night.  

"Damn you, Damian," she muttered to the empty street, a mixture of anger and sadness within her as she turned and walked toward her apartment.

The floodgates that held back painful memories were broken. Like a lively troupe of dancers popping up unannounced, images of Damian intruded on her soul.