chapter 40: not today nat

Začít od začátku

Huh, I wonder what that's about.

Now that I realise it, Adrien and Leo are both in tuxedos too. Something must be going on with work. I make a mental reminder to repeat his words to Flynn later. Vincent hangs up the phone as Adrien tosses him a glass of water. "Everything alright?" Adrien asks Vincent.

"Just peachy." He replies in a sarcastic tone.

He lets out a frustrated sigh and gulps down his water. His gaze switches to me. "Good morning Princess." Vincent says as he walks over to me. I hop off my stool to talk to him. He gently places a kiss on my forehead and my eyes meet his. He's so tall that merely looking at him hurts my neck. I don't even know how I'm so short compared to my biological brothers.

It must be a weird genetic thing.

He stares into my eyes for a few moments, admiring my cobalt eyes whilst I admire his arctic ones. His eyes soften as I gaze into his eyes. I find guilt laced within them. Huh. Guilt? Why would he be guilty? He hasn't done anything wrong. He brings me into a tight hug. His hands grip onto me.

He holds onto me as if he doesn't want to let go.

His warm hands rub up and down my back. My head is squished against his chest. He's so much taller than me that I can't even have a proper hug with him. Or anyone in fact. It feels as if time freezes. I get a whiff of his strong cologne. My nostrils inhale the familiar scents of rosemary and wood.

That's strange.

I swear that I've smelt that scent last night. It's so vaguely familiar to me, I just can't quite remember it. "I'm sorry Princess, for everything. I love you so much." He whispers into my ear. I'm taken aback. What did he just say? WHAT DID HE JUST SAY? This man just said he loves me?

I can't believe my ears.

All this time I thought that he was being hard on me because he didn't like me. My heart tugs at his words. Why was he being so sentimental right now? It was 7:45 in the morning. Even though I'm surprised, I don't want to leave him hanging. "I love you too Vince."

His hands squeeze harder, him not wanting to let go.

"It's me and you forever, remember?" I try to reassure him. I hear his nose sniffle a bit. "Yeah, me and you forever." He repeats in a softer tone. I can feel him smiling at the thought. I don't know what he was sorry for but it must've been killing him on the inside. It was probably older sibling guilt. As curious as I am, I know that he probably doesn't want to talk about it and I respect that.

I don't want to push his emotions even further.

I don't want to break away but I'm afraid that if I don't I'll suffocate to death. I slowly pull away to meet his watery eyes. Awh no. Did I do this to him? The guilt must've really eaten him up. I turn to face my other biological brothers. They all have a confused look plastered all over their faces.

But one quick glance from Vincent makes them look in every other direction but his.

Adrien quickly serves breakfast on the counter to drive all the attention away from Vincent and I. I sit back on my stool. I also spot Xander and Xavier making their way to us too. "Hey Tash!" Xavier greets me and shuffles my hair. "Hey! I just combed my hair." I complain. "Too bad love." He replies in a silly mood.

I playfully whack his arm. He laughs along with me. Xander sits to my left whilst Xavier sits on my right. Adrien tosses a plate of eggs and toast to everyone. Mmm. I let the aroma consume me and I dive right in. I enjoy every bite. Although I don't finish the food, it was tasty nonetheless.

"Thanks for the food Adri." I thank him.

"No problem pretty girl." He kindly replies back. Wow, would ya look at that. The articles that I previously read were right. This bonding thing is working, and I'm not complaining. I say my thanks to Vincent and Leo and I glance back towards Chase.