Chapter 13: Onward Home

Start from the beginning

He squeezed you, and you did so back. Your heart pounded harder and a dizziness whirred past your head. You closed your eyes and saw stars; a weakness in your knees caused you to nearly lose balance. As you leaned more into him for support, he mused, "Mmm, I can feel your boobs on me..."

You inwardly groaned. "You just had to ruin the moment, didn't you?"

He laughed a bit as you pulled away, but he didn't fully let go. He kept you in his arms as you put a small distance between you and he. "That's my job. Now, hey—" He held you tighter as you made a feeble attempt to untangle yourself from him, "How, um... have you... always seen me?"

You shrugged, "Like a protective older brother?"

He... looked... horrified. "Y-... You're kidding..."

"Well, I guess. Like a protective older brother except for the times when you flirted with me."

Getting over the previous shock, he squinted, "And that was... all the time..."

"By the way," During his moment of bafflement, you managed to escape from his toned arms. "How come you always teased me anyways?"

At this point, he seemed close to his normal self. He held up a finger and answered, "Uh, different reasons. One, it was fun as hell. Two, you look cute when you're embarrassed. Three, I um..." He paused, and looked away. After a few heartbeats of silence, he quietly confessed, "I had a fucking crush on you—how could you have never realized it?"

A blush spread across your face. "Oh... I..." In the back of your mind, you'd expected it, but you'd been too busy with Allen and Alfred to acknowledge it.

"D-Don't worry," He laughed with unease as he waved his hand again, "It wasn't a big deal, j-just a harmless little thing. I... I..." He used his raised hand to rub his eyes. A few seconds later, he uncovered them to reveal refreshed, confident ones. "Ahh, who am I kidding? I still wouldn't mind dating you, babe." He winked, a self-satisfied grin on his face. That was the Zao you knew.

Feeling comfortable around him again, you chuckled and poked his forehead. "That's impossible and you know it. But... thanks." Before you could change your mind, you leaned in and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Now, he was back to blushing madly. "D-Did you just..."

You backed away. Even you couldn't believe you'd just done that. "S-Sorry."

His face reddened even more—but once he got over his shock, a sly idea came to his mind. With a sneer, he replied, "You're not getting away with that."

As if all in one movement, he moved in and tilted your chin up with his finger, leaned in—and before you knew it—you felt his lips brush against yours.

Zao Yang's lips. On. Yours. Whoa.

...What?

Soft, sweet, hurried. A spark went through your body, even after those lips pulled away.

As you both stood staring at each other, his eyes lidded, cheeks pink, he licked his lips and murmured, "...I have such a boner right now."

Somehow, you were expecting a one-liner like that. Still, you blushed even more and shouted, "What?!"

Apparently, that would be one of the last things you ever say to him in person, because after you spoke it, he... took off running. "HEY!" You shouted after him as he sprinted away, "You stole that kiss!"

You could already hear his maniacal laughter in the distance. "Sorry babe! I still really like you, call me when you get back to California!"

You stared at his retreating back until he was gone.