F - ushijima x tendou

Trial and errors

"Reon, I need your assistance."

The wing spiker turned around slowly, not sure why his captain was asking him for help. Most of the volleyball team was eating together at their usual table. Semi and Shirabu were nowhere to be found, obviously to enjoy each other's company, but no one said a thing, and Tendou was probably trailing behind in art class. He always did on Wednesdays, that's why Ushijima decided that today was a good day to ask his teammate a very important question.

"What is it, captain? Usually you would ask Tendou-kun for help, not me."

The wing spiker was shocked, it was an understatement. He wasn't always on the sideline, but Tendou was Ushijima's best friend after all.

"It's about him. Precisely why I am asking you for assistance", he explained as he sat down at the table. The other members of the team were looking at them with obvious curiosity.

Reon almost looked uncomfortable. He felt too great of a responsibility was soon to be on his shoulders.

"Alright, I'm listening. What about Tendou?"

"I want to date him."

Reon raised his eyebrows in surprised, but he wasn't really surprised, thinking of it. He was probably more surprised at Ushijima's bluntness. Some gasps were heard by other teammates.

"Ok, that's cool. But what does it have to do with me?", Reon asked.

"I should give him a gift when I ask him out, correct? I need help with what to give him."

Reon scratched the back of his head. "Well, to be honest, I don't know Tendou-kun that well. Goshiki could probably be of better help than me."

Ushijima nodded. He turned to the younger man sitting across from him. "Goshiki-kun, I need your assistance-"

"Yeah, I get it!", he angrily said. "Ugh, this is so awkward! Why me!?"

"Reon said-"

"I know what he said, I'm sitting right here, noticed?!", he sighed, exasperation seeping through his words.

Ushijima sat patiently, waiting for an answer from his kouhai.

Goshiki sighed, holding his head in his hands. "How about flowers?"

"Satori hates flowers."

Goshiki tsked. He thought some more. "How about a teddy bear?"

"A plush is childish."

"Give him chocolate, then."

"It could work, but they are expensive."

"You could make them."

"I don't know how to bake, Satori does."

"Give him a kiss."

Ushijima stared at the boy with a clueless look.

Goshiki groan. "Of course that's out of the question."

"How about chocolate ice cream?", Yamagata suddenly asked. "He likes ice cream, right?"

Ushijima stayed silent, thoughtful. His face hardened in confidence. "You are right. Satori does love chocolate ice cream. I will give him that."

Goshiki sighed loudly. "Finally! We found something."

"Yamagata did", the captain corrected.

"Yes, sure. Yamagata found something. Happy?"

"Yes."

-

Sunday arrived and since they had no practice, Ushijima decided to go to Tendou's house and invite him out for ice cream. It wasn't that hot of a day, but he knew the boy could not decline ice cream.

Ushijima arrived unannounced and rang the doorbell. Tendou answered a few moments later, in shorts and an oversize hoodie. Probably Ushijima's.

"Wakatoshi-kun! What is bringing you here?", he smiled widely. He was always happy to see his best friend.

"I want to invite you for ice cream. Are you available?

Tendou wasn't surprise when his friend didn't run around the bush and simply invited him. That's how the man worked.

Tendou got excited at the mention of ice cream. "Yes! Let me go change and I'll be right back here!", he yelled and slammed the door in Ushijima's face.

The ace wasn't surprised by the violent behavior, he was used to it. He waited patiently the few minutes that it took for his friend to change in more weather appropriate clothes.

"Let's goooo!", Tendou exclaimed, looping his arm around Ushijima's as they walked to an ice cream shop.

They talked about school and volleyball on their way there. Rather, Tendou did the talking and Ushijima did the listening, adding simple answers whenever needed.

When they arrived, Ushijima told Tendou to choose a table and wait for him.

"You're paying?!", Tendou exclaimed. He was grateful that Ushijima was paying, don't get him wrong.

"Yes, I'll be right back", the brunette said, entering the store.

Tendou couldn't help the small blush on his face. He chose a table under the sun, that eas a bit farther from the entrance of the shop. He sat patiently, his eyes closed and a small smile on his face.

Inside, Ushijima ordered two cones. One chocolate and one vanilla for himself. When he came back outside, he noticed his best friend looking serene, and also very beautiful. He could not wait to ask him out.

He joined the redhead and sat on the bench next to him.

"Satori."

Tendou looked up and beamed with happiness when he saw his friend holding the chocolate ice cream toward him.

"My favorite!", he exclaimed.

"Satori."

The middle blocker turned to look at his friend, a curious, but awaiting look on his face.

"Go out with me."

Immediately, his hands flew to his mouth. He stared at the brunette.

"You want to go out with me?", he asked with a small voice.

The brunette nodded. "Yes, I like you. So, go out with me. Please."

Tendou squealed and took the ice cream from Ushijima's hands.

"Of course, I'll go out with you, Waka-kun!"

Ushijima smiled, content. Tendou blushed at the sight. It was rare to see Ushijima smile, and knowing he was the cause made butterflies erupt in the pit of his stomach.

Tendou dared kissing his boyfriend's cheek, which left the brunette with a dark blush on his face. Satori smiled and cuddled the other, leaning his head on his boyfriend's shoulder.

"Thank you, Wakatoshi."

Ushijima wrapped his free arm around his boyfriend's body.

"You're welcome, Satori."