Chapter Three: Hershel's Farm

There are a lot of words that could explain how Laney is feeling at this exact moment. But mostly, she's terrified, waking up in an unfamiliar place without Elliot next to her. Elliot is always, always next to her. Laney didn't move an inch from her spot as she could hear two unfamiliar voices. What would she do if they were dangerous, people who could hurt or even kill her? However, Laney hated to think like that because she knew that even though most people were terrible - just like Elliot had been drilling into her head since the start - there were good people also.

She wished Elliot were here with her because she wouldn't be afraid then. Elliot would protect her, just like he's always done. Laney tries to sit up, but her vision goes blurry, and she gets dizzy. She winces and brings her hands to her head. She doesn't remember what happened, and she wanted her brother.

She has no idea how long it's been since she's been asleep. She slowly moves her hands from her face and looks around her. There's a piece of paper next to her pillow, and she picks it up. It's a letter from Elliot.

Lane,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't able to protect you from that man.

I'll never be away from you like that again. Just in case you wake up before

I get back, I went out looking for more food and water. He stole

all of mine, and I don't want to worry about you not having any food.

If I'm not back before you read this, DO NOT LEAVE! Stay right here, and I'll be back before you know it.

I love you to the moon.

Elliot

She shoves the note into her bag and looks around. His bag was missing, but he had left his blanket and pillow where they were before. She wonders how long ago he wrote that. Was he gone forever? Was she alone? She couldn't survive on her own.

Laney gets to her knees and peeks over the counter. She doesn't see anything at first, but after moving her head slowly, she sees a man and a woman walking around the place, picking up random things and setting them back down.

"You think she's in here still?" The woman asks, stopping and picking up a box.

"I hope. That kid looked terrified; we got to bring her back for him." The man replies.

"We won't leave until we find her, I promise you, Glenn." The woman says, looking Laney's way.

Laney ducks and smacks her leg into the shelf next to her.

"What the hell was that?" The man - Glenn, she guessed - says, voice slightly higher than before.

Laney scared him, and she almost wanted to laugh about it. She bit down on her hand so she didn't make any noise.

"Laney, was that you?" The woman's voice says.

"Maggie!" Glenn whispers loudly; Laney thinks.

"What? If she's here, I want her to know that we're not going to hurt her."

Laney listens closely now. They were looking for her. Did they know her? Did they take Elliot and hurt him? Was he forced to tell them where she was so they could take her, too?

"Laney, I know you're scared, and you don't want to come out because your brother isn't here, but he told us where to find you."

Laney sits up straight and almost gives her hiding spot away. She shouldn't trust them.