But she would not be doing any of those, no. She would go back to him just to betray him. A part of her wondered if she could somehow tell him the truth. Maybe in code words, maybe in hushed whispers?  

"Oh, and your entire house is bugged, so don't even try." 

"Then why do you need me to fetch information?" Adeline inquired a bit curious. 

"One, we already searched the house when we took you. Two, and most importantly, I want to hurt him." Adeline's heart started beating against her chest as she saw the look in Adrian's eyes, goosebumps making their way onto her skin. 

"I can't do that!" Adeline cried out, finally feeling the weight of Adrian's words.

"At least he will be alive this way; I can't say it'll be good for him, but your conscience? Surely, you won't want more dead bodies on your hands, right?" 

The chilling words were enough to defeat any morality Adeline had in her heart. Daniel would be hurt. She would betray him. But at least he would be alive.  

And that was all that mattered. 

____

Adeline's mind had been engraved with the concept of right and wrong since she was a child. It was not hard to distinguish between what was morally right and what was not. Yet, in the last two days, she had done everything that was morally terrible.  

In her eyes and her mind, a small part agreed that her actions were taken out of no malicious intent. However, the outcome was more than malicious. It was a criminal act, one for which she should be punished. But here she was, going to do another crime.  

Adeline stood hidden, watching her husband cry over the headstone of their child. A lone tear ran down her cheek, dropping to the ground.

A small breath left her lips as she rubbed the centre of her chest, trying to lessen the pain that had been blooming inside her heart.  

But no matter what she did, the pain did not lessen; on the contrary, it grew more until she was forced to grip the tree she was hiding behind.  

More tears clouded her vision as she saw her husband stagger and fall into the dirt, crying in a maddening haze.  

But Adeline couldn't move.

She couldn't comfort her love. 

She couldn't do anything. 

How could she? She was the one who killed her daughter.  

The knowledge was ever-present in her mind, and tears streamed down her face as a choked sob left her lips. She clenched her fingers hard and took slow breaths, her eyes staring at her husband, who was being led away from the grave by one of his friends. She could not see who that was from her blurred vision, but she was glad he had someone. 

He would need his friends and family now more than ever, especially because she was going to make things worse. Adeline felt her body shake as she saw Daniel walk into the arms of a woman, whom she realised was her mother-in-law. Her eyes watched with little warmth as Daniel's friends and mother surrounded him. 

A small breeze breezed past Adeline's body, and the chill that ran down her spine was the last straw that held her together. As the wind blew harder, her legs gave out, and she crashed to the ground, her body shaking as more tears came out of her eyes. Tears pelted down her cheeks, their warmth contrasting sharply with the icy breeze that brushed against her skin, leaving a trail of goosebumps in its wake.