Chapter Seven

|| NOT EDITED ||

"Do you remember the story you have been told?" 

Adeline sighed as she looked at Adrian standing in front of her with his arms crossed in front of him, a frown tugging at his face. 

After going on for four hours and discussing every detail yesterday, Adeline felt numb. The details of her lies burned deep in her mind. 

"Yes," Adeline sighed. "I stabbed my child accidentally. I was aiming for the man's hand, but I missed it. After that, I had a slight chance where they dropped Natalie, and I was going to pick her up and run, but before I could do that, the other men were coming close to me, so I panicked and ran. I never looked back; I just ran as fast as my legs could take me. I heard gunshots, but they did not hit me. I asked for a ride, and they dropped me off at the Redvale Hotel. I wanted to contact Daniel, but the guilt did not let me, and today I am finally back."

"You are almost there. Add the finer details, and you sound more guilty than dead. You should be fine." 

Adeline glared at Adrian. How could she not feel dead while spewing these lies? Daniel was smart. There was no way he would believe this. But as Adrian reminded her kindly yesterday, it was necessary to plant doubt in Daniel's mind. 

"What finer details?" Adeline spoke while clenching the fabric of her dress. The same dress she was wearing on the day of the attack.  

Adeline watched as Adrian uncrossed his arms and walked in front of her, and instinctively she took one step back. But before she could move back further, Adrian lifted his right hand and clasped his fingers around Adeline's wrist.  

A gasp left her lips as he tugged her forward, her body falling helplessly against Adrian's. Adeline's eyes narrowed as she looked up at Adrian, their lips inches apart. 

"Do you feel this?" Adrian spoke softly, his eyes moving all over Adeline's face. Adeline lifted her left hand and placed it on Adrian's chest as she tried to push him away, but Adrian held onto her wrist, his thumb drawing circles on her hand.  

A noise fell out of Adeline's lips as she could feel her body being pressed to Adrian's, her mind acutely aware of the thumb that was rubbing over her hand, and the sudden urge to puke from disgust became very evident in her. 

The disgust was clear on her face when she heard Adrian's next words, "Ah, see, those are the finer details. Your body needs to enact every line you speak."

This time, when Adeline pushed Adrian away, he simply let her, and she could not help but take a relieved breath. "You could have simply said that without touching me. But I will remember." 

"Good, and when someone asks why you are limping, what will you say?"  

Adeline glowered at Adrian and whispered harshly, "I was punishing myself for what I did to my daughter."

Adeline's eyes watered as she saw the smile that lit on Adrian's face as he nodded at her approvingly. "Good. You are all set, then. Keep the burner phone with you. You have two days to give me information." 

If Adeline could, she would have thrown the phone on his head or taken a knife and stabbed him repeatedly, but unfortunately, she did not have that much power. In the last few hours, she had become a painful puppet in Adrian's hands. She wanted to go back to Daniel, to her best friend, to the person she fell in love with, to jump into his arms and tell him the truth.