Chapter 35

Bebe meets Kyle at a loud pizza restaurant. She smiles at him and waves him over.

"You look pretty good, considering how many meetings you must have had." Kyle pulls out his chair to sit.

"Yeah, they glitzed me up for the cameras. You on the other hand... you look terrible." She points at him as if accusing him of something.

"Thanks."

"No, I mean like... you look like you're worried, or stressed or something."

"I guess I am pretty fucking stressed..."

Bebe smiles warmly. "You can tell me if you want... I'm contractually obligated to keep any secrets you tell me."

Kyle chuckles and nods. "That is true..."

"Is it related to why you had to leave so suddenly yesterday?"

"Yeah..."

"What was all that about?"

"I uhm..." Kyle fiddles with the sleeve of his shirt nervously.

"Is it something you're legally allowed to talk about?"

"No..."

"Hmm..." Bebe taps her finger against the table as she considers a thought. "How about this... if, HYPOTHETICALLY, there were this super hero who kept disappearing at random points in time, what would you suspect his reasons may be?"

"Hypothetically, he might have signed some kind of contact stating that he is on call for support whenever a certain person needed him."

"Interesting. This could make a great story. Tell me, what would his hypothetical reason be for signing the contract?"

Kyle smiles, happy to be talking about this with someone. "Hypothetically, he fucked up and the only way to save his career was to agree to the contract."

"So, these disappearances... he is at the mercy of some mystery person to be there whenever he is called?"

"Basically." Kyle nods.

A waiter comes over to take their orders. They choose to share a large supreme pizza. Kyle orders a Diet Pepsi and Bebe orders a water.

"Wanna talk more in a... private place, after this?" Bebe offers.

"Yeah."

They decide to drop the topic while they eat. If they aren't careful they could expose themselves as superheroes.

After a filling meal, they both go back to Bebe's house. They sit on the pink fluffy carpet in her bedroom to talk.

"Okay, Kyle. Listen close. Starting right now, I will share zero of the information you tell me with anyone else. I'm really curious about what happened."

Kyle hesitates. "Okay but... everything I'm about to tell you is just uh... me playing pretend. I'm legally obliged to say that."

She beams brightly. "Okay! Now spill."

He takes a deep breath. "How do I even start?"