VIII - Missed You

✍︎♬: "Sémaphore" - Requin Chagrin

They pulled up to the hotel and both hopped out. The car ride was slightly awkward. It was ten minutes long and they just spoke about music. It reminded her of when they first ever started seeing each other. Y/N gave her name and other personal things that would Identify her recent checkout, to the hotel receptionist once they were both inside the hotel. She obtained her luggage and Levi helped her, carrying two suitcases and Y/N carrying one. She also had a carry-on bag which was her favourite color. When Levi saw it he let out a breathy chuckle. It was the same gym bag from high school.

They fit everything in Levi's trunk and they were on their way to her new apartment. She was earlier than she anticipated because of the fact Levi offered to be her designated driver. When Levi started the car the music was even lower. The car started and they were back on the road.

The atmosphere in the room was tense as Y/N struggled to find the right words to express what was on her mind. The first two minutes passed by in complete silence, with both Y/N and Levi avoiding eye contact. Y/N knew she had to say something, but the words just wouldn't come out. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Levi broke the silence, easing the tension in the car.

"I... I've missed you," Levi looked everywhere but her. "It's been hell these past few years..."

"I'm sorry-"

"Why didn't you call?" His genuine hurt came out and he finally showed his emotions. You could hear it in his voice. Y/N stayed quiet. Deep down she knew that Levi's family could've helped her. But by the time she was already flown into the US, it was over for her. "What happened?"

Already by the first question he asked, her chest felt heavy. "My parents, Levi." She admitted. "They just wanted to make sure I got my diploma so that they could show it off to my wedding suitors. That's probably why they paid for my further education at Stanford, to add another accomplishment to my belt. I was stupid and naive to think they'd give me more time. They wanted to use me for a business deal. It was so expected and I was so oblivious. I'm so stupid..."

"You're not stupid," he mumbled. "What happened to your face? Who did that to you?" He asked out of a slight scowl. His eyes soften though. His eyes softened when he watched her expression change with his questions.

"Levi," She called. "I don't think you should drive when you're emotional... I can take the bus if I really have to." She suggested as she grabbed the handles of her purse. They were stuck at a red light so if she left the car she'd be just fine. All Y/N wanted was for Levi to make it home safely.

"Y/N," The sound of her name escaping his mouth to catch her attention was a nostalgic feeling for both of them. "Please, tell me what happened. Was it your dad?"

"It was an accident." She snapped. "Just an accident. I didn't do something that I was supposed to do. My mind told me one thing and my heart told me another in a completely different tone. I deserved it. I should've gone with my mind."

"Who was it?" He asked one more time. This time he looked at her face. The summer sun shone on her face. It looked like she sparkled. She was beautiful even with an ugly bruise tainting her face. "Your dad?" She looked away. If you looked closely you could see her head bopping up and down in a slight nod. He stared at her for a second until a beep sounded from a car behind them. The light turned green. "Shit."

It felt like the world stopped until that beep. He continued the drive to her apartment. She asked him some light questions in return. They laughed and joked as old friends.

The rest of the car ride, they talked and caught each other up on the events of both their lives. She told him of how she convinced her parents that having a degree would give her and their family a good look. She told him of all of her suitors. Levi even thought the fact that they had decided on Reiner Braun, was laughable. She kept the pumps from Kuchel. Of her escape plan. She told him everything that she could.