Chapter 4 - On the Run (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"They're close", I heard from below. I spotted only two, Hunter and Crosshair, who were standing on a rock formation a few trees away. I held my breath as Crosshair pointed his rifle up, searching. 

"There". I watched as Caleb tensed up after being spotted. I sunk further into the leaves, staying hidden, but angling myself to jump in front of Caleb if need be and fight.

"Come on down kid!", Hunter yelled up. "We're here to help!".

The statement proved to be a lie when a blaster shot was fired up into the trees. I deflected the blast away, still remaining hidden. I remembered from my sentinal training that any advantage is a good advantage. By remaining hidden, we still had the upper hand.

"Liar!", Caleb shouted down, looking in my direction before taking off through the trees. I followed, making as little noise as possible.

....................................................

"What are you doing?!".

"Following orders", Crosshair responded in a monotone voice.

"We don't even know what the order is. Stand down until we know what's going on".

Crosshair watched as Hunter walked away. His hand twitched at the same time as his neck, like a tic, before going back to rest on his rifle.

"Good soldiers follow orders".

....................................................

I listened for any signs of the clones, but it seemed as if they had stopped following, at least for a moment. The sound of rushing water caught my attention, and I remembered my vision yet again. 

"Caleb", I whispered, watching as he turned his head. "Go to the waterfall, there should be a ship somewhere in that area. Take it and go to Lothal".

"You're not coming with me?", he asked desperately. It was now I realized how young he truly was, and I questioned for moment if I should go with him.

"No,", I decided. "I can't. The force has given me a vision. I need to do something else first". The thought of Omega came to mind, little Omega, whose genes would decide the fate of the rest of the living jedi, the fate of the galaxy. "I have to save someone else first".

Caleb seemed to understand, though he seemed disappointed. He nodded before turning towards the water.

"Caleb", I stopped him, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry". I looked down in shame and grief, knowing he was doing the same. We didn't dare say the why out loud, both already knowing why, and fearful that speaking would solidify it's truth. "May the force be with you".

"Laiany, I'm not too sure there's a force left to be with". He paused, tears springing to his eyes. "I hope you're able to find whoever you're looking for".

He gave me one last glance before flipping away, leaving me on my own. 

"Goodbye Caleb, and good luck", I whispered.

I felt more tears fall at the thought of Caleb and his statement. I had always been the more spiritual one, but Caleb had trusted in the force all the same. I understood, though, why he wouldn't trust it now, after it took the lives of so many, including his master, including me.

I quieted up at the sound of a comm device beeping below.

"We have a situation", Tech's voice came in spotty and rough through the transponder.

I watched as Crosshair and Hunter stopped, listening to what Tech had to say. I slowly moved back into more coverage as they spoke.

....................................................

"Tell me something I don't know Tech", Hunter responded back snarkily.

"It appears the regs have been ordered to execute the jedi".

"What?", Hunter stated, surprised. "Which jedi?".

"All of them. They're saying the jedi have committed treason".

Hunter looked to Crosshair, who didn't seem to care all to much. He thought back to Laiany, wondering what she, or any other jedi for that matter, could have possibly done.

"That would explain things", Crosshair spoke up.

"It doesn't begin to explain things!", Hunter shot back, exasperated by his brother's lack of questioning. Crosshair was always one to question orders. Why was he following them so blindly now?

"I suggest you get back here", Tech advised.

"Can't. Haven't found either kid yet".

There was a sound of falling snow from the treetops, and Crosshair aimed his rifle up. The scope was aimed directly on the terrified expression of Laiany as she froze in place, glancing over to where her foot had accidentally hit a weak branch, causing the sound. She shoke her head towards the sniper, a futile attempt to beg for mercy. Crosshair hesitated for just a moment, another tic occurring in his hand, before he turned off the safety and readjusted.

"Wrong".