Chapter 2 - Meeting The Bad Batch

"Well, you don't know me,

But I know you.

And I've got a message

To give to you

Here come the planes,

So you better get ready,

Ready to go.

You can come as you are,

But pay as you go"

- O Superman by Laurie Anderson

The sight I was met with in the hangar was anything but what I was expecting. The troop consisted of only 5 clones, each with their own unique physiologies and characteristics. A large, muscular clone was holding up the edge of the ship in one hand and eating a ration bar with the other. The smallest clone was underneath the underbelly of the ship, holding a multitude of tools. He was arguing with the larger clone about the falling crumbs from his food. A tall, thin clone was leaning against the far wall, a toothpick in his mouth. He was examining a sniper gun while also taking bemused looks towards the two at the ship. A clone seeming to be part droid was sitting on a nearby crate, cleaning his cybernetic enhancements. He seemed familiar, his pale face ringing a few bells, but there were no concrete memories coming to mind. Finally, there was a clone wearing a bandanna, clearly the leader. He had a skull tattoo on one half of his face, and he was trying to decrease tensions between the muscular and smaller clone. All five turned to look at me as I walked through the door. The sudden attention made me nervous, but I still managed to keep a strong commanding demeanor, like Master Ti, and gave them a small wave.

"Hello boys. You all must be the Bad Batch".

"And you must be Captain Pavok", the leader stated, coming up to shake my hand. "I'm Hunter, this is Crosshair," the tall clone took out his toothpick and nodded his head. I nodded back. "those two over there are Wrecker and Tech," the two by the ship stopped their bickering and looked my way. I smiled in their direction. "and that's Echo, our newest member.". I looked at the clone with cybernetic enhancements. Yes, I remembered now. I gave him medical attention after Master Skywalker's infiltration of a techno-union base. He seemed to recognize me as well, and we gave each other sad, knowing smiles. That day hadn't been terribly great for either of us.

"Yes, I remember Echo.", I paused, then looked towards the rest of the group. "It's lovely to meet the rest of you!". I turned to face Hunter. "I assume you've read over the mission?".

"Of course, Captain", he stated.

"You can call me Laiany, Sergeant. I have never believed I deserved that title. I'm a jedi, not a warrior", I said in return. "Well, no use waiting around. Let's rescue Master Billaba".

"Yeah-ha! Finally!", Wreaker yelled. He let go of the ship, nearly crushing Tech before he remembered and caught the vessel as his brother crawled out from underneath. I chuckled a bit as I heard Tech grumble under his breath.

"Welcome to the Marauder, Laiany". Hunter gestured to the ship. It was an attack shuttle, Omicron-class by the looks of it. It wasn't massive, but it was small either. It had definitely seen some action, but I'd always loved a ship with a bit of character.

"It's beautiful", I commented as I walked aboard. The interior seemed homely as well. The ship was definitely owned by boys though; the space wasn't the cleanest, but that wasn't my problem. Echo gestured towards a seat in the cockpit, and I buckled in as we flew through the Kamino storm and jumped into hyperspace towards Kaller.

"Remind me again why we have a jedi coming with us? Never needed one before", Crosshair grumbled out. Hunter looked like he was about to say something, but I stepped in on my own behalf.