|#8|

Several days elapse. Things get better between Ruhana and Vineet. The former manages to get the deal with Zenith Ventures, and the latter is surprised when he comes to know that she has achieved the deal under an alias. The two are sitting together in her cabin when he gazes at her questioningly.

"Why did you choose an alias for yourself?"

"So that I could work safely and teach a lesson to Mr Shekhar Bisht. When he can get the business papers signed, he can easily find out about me. Yeah, he doesn't know about my company and this is why, I have chosen an alias name."

"And guess what, Vineet? He won't dig into our website deeply, so there's no need to fret. Even if he suspects something, he won't uncover my identity, let alone realise it's his niece," Ruhana smirks at her friend. 

"Ah! Are you sure about it?" He asks.

"Yes, do not worry. I am so happy today." She chuckles, her happiness is visible on her face.

Ruhana has been making big deals with clients from other countries lately. She's also been working well with Vineet on some good deals. Everything seems to be going well for her, and she's feeling happy. Lately, she has been in a good mood, and life has been going smoothly.

Vineet notices this and thinks it's a good time to talk to Ruhana about their relationship. They've been together for a long time, and she often says he's the most important person in her life. She calls him her confidant, but sometimes her words and actions do not match. Vineet wants to understand what he means to her.

Ruhana has been through a lot in life, and it's changed her actions a lot. But Vineet is always part of her conversations and her life. Still, he wonders if she feels the same way about him as he does about her.

His feelings for Ruhana go beyond just friendship, but right now, he's not sure what to think. The bond they share is very important to him, and he doesn't want to lose her. He also doesn't want her to lose trust in him or their friendship. Yet he wants to take a chance and talk to her about them. His trance breaks when Ruhana calls his name.

"Hey, where are you lost? Is everything okay?" She asks concernedly.

"Yeah, sorry, I just zoned out. Were you saying something?" Vineet replies, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Yeah, I got coffee for you. I noticed you were lost in thought. Still pondering over my strategies?" She questions, raising an eyebrow.

"Ruhana, that's something I keep pondering, but since you don't seem interested, I won't bring it up," Vineet responds.

"Smart move, my friend. I'm glad you're seeing it my way. Everyone has their own methods; this happens to be mine—trickery to achieve my goals. After all, I've been deceived too. I believe sometimes you have to take what you need," Ruhana explains, making her stance clear.

"I understand, Ruhana. But be careful not to go too far down a path that leads to a downfall you can't recover from. Do you know your limits?" Vineet cautions.

"Yeah, Vineet, I do. But right now, everything I'm doing feels right. So, let's trust our instincts and do what feels right, okay?" Ruhana counters, seeking validation from Vineet, who reluctantly agrees.

Indeed, there's nothing inherently wrong with following one's instincts and working in a manner that feels right. Everyone has their own set of principles and values. While Vineet sticks to his ethics, Ruhana has forged her own. She believes in responding to the actions directed her way, even if it means employing unconventional methods. Vineet is still contemplating his thoughts when Ruhana beams at him and holds his hands, breaking his trance.

"But I am glad for one thing, Vineet. Our destiny brought us together. Sometimes, I wonder if you hadn't been there with me; life wouldn't have been easier." Ruhana says she's thoughtful at the moment.

"Really? In all those years, you never sent me a message or tried to contact me." He asks, sipping his coffee.

"Yeah, because I was scared. I was scared of the fact that you wouldn't recognise me, or you would cut the phone without listening to me." She expresses her feat and he only smiles at her innocence.

"Do you really think so, Ruhana? I mean, we have been best friends since childhood. How'd I forget you? How could you even think of it?" He gazes at her; he's glad to know that he's been a part of her life, if not with her, but in her thoughts and memories.

"I don't know, Vineet. It's been so many years. I thought you'd have found many friends like me. And tell me, didn't you find good friends like Abhay? I mean, he's far better than me. Your thoughts match with his, but not with mine." Ruhana says, glancing at him.

"I've found many friends, Ruhana. But it doesn't change your place in my life. You were, and you are special." He says, boring his eyes into hers.

"Really? I mean, after all these clashes, you say this?" She gazes at him.

"Clashes will always happen. I won't stop talking or I won't break the friendships, Ruhana. And, as I said, you're special. It's just that you're not realising it right now. But I will make it clear to you." Vineet smiles at his childhood friend.

"Aw, you're a sweetheart, Vineet. I am sorry; I know I have been rude to you. But you're always there, standing by my side." She says, trying to apologise.

"You will always find me beside you. Anyway, if the lady is happy, will she oblige me with a dinner date?" He asks gently and stretches his hand towards her.

She stares at him for a few seconds and then keeps her hands on his.

"Of course, it's been a long time since we have gone for lunch or dinner. It's going to be a nice distraction from the busy schedule." Ruhana smiles softly.

Vineet smiles broadly and the two head for a date in their favourite restaurant. He's also determined to open his heart to Ruhana.

To Be Continued.

A/N: word count: 1055 words.

Total word count: 8,749 words.